California-Southern

Just learned that the stuff you use on kids for head lice... Is permethrin! Way cheaper and easier safer than mixing my own concoction. Haven't tried it yet, not even sure if there's an active mite issue, but I'll add it to my chicken kit. Anyone used it? NIX spray is what I saw in the store.

I bought permethrin at the feed store and dust any new incoming pullets in quarantine -- but be careful not to get the dust flying everywhere -- respiratory issues for people/hens.

They may be bored. I've added a few things to their run like branches, a mirror, and stacked pilaster blocks. Ideas to relieve chicken boredom?
All kinds of stuff on pintrest...

-I did the plastic bottle with drilled holes for dispersing grain throughout the day when they peck it... worked ok..

-Hanging vegetables on rope.

-Digging up clumps of dirt to expose potential worms.

-Load coop with a lot of straw (or leaves, mulch etc) so they have scratch through it to find grain on ground.

I did some barleygrass growing to keep chickens healthy and actively scratching. (need to add wire on top so they dont destroy roots).

And obviously, free range is the best to prevent boredom.

current picture jubilee orpingtons. the 2 back ones are boys free in Hemet

I would hesitate offering the boys free on a special breed. They'll only wind up as someone's dinner. At that possibility it's better to keep the boys for your own dinner table rather than giving away a free meal to someone else. We actively search out a home for our unwanted cockerels rather than give them away free. Hope your boys get a good home rather than setting someone else's table. Unwanted roos is why I can't deal w/ chicks -- too hard to find them homes.

I would hesitate offering the boys free on a special breed. They'll only wind up as someone's dinner. At that possibility it's better to keep the boys for your own dinner table rather than giving away a free meal to someone else. We actively search out a home for our unwanted cockerels rather than give them away free. Hope your boys get a good home rather than setting someone else's table. Unwanted roos is why I can't deal w/ chicks -- too hard to find them homes.

Thank You.

Ever been so stressed that you just up and buy a handful of baby chickies so you can surround yourself with cuteness?

I might have done that....

Additionally, anyone have experience with Meyer Hatchery and shipping out to the Left Coast?

Ahem. :-/

Ever been so stressed that you just up and buy a handful of baby chickies so you can surround yourself with cuteness?

I might have done that....

Additionally, anyone have experience with Meyer Hatchery and shipping out to the Left Coast?

Ahem. :-/

I have read reviews of different hatcheries over the years and it seems to be the luck of the draw whether customers have been happy with their shipments from various hatcheries. For rare breeds it might be difficult to get exceptional birds, but for the common, popular, dual purpose, or layer birds, I can't see why any hatchery would be bad. Reason most people don't want to use hatcheries is because of their practice of culling the male chicks. Other than that I see no problem with hatchery birds. Some customers complain of sub-standard birds but I'm of the feeling that diet and environment of raising chicks can play a large part in their growing up as beauties just as much as genetics. Brokers like My Pet Chicken and California Hatchery have some of their own breeds but for other breeds they drop-ship from another location and you don't know what farm they might be coming from. There's also Belt Hatchery in Central California -- I've seen some of their chicken breeds at our local feed store and I wouldn't hesitate getting their birds -- they just don't have a real huge selection of breeds but the breeds they have look nice -- I've seen their chicks grow up to adults at the feed store barn and they've been nice so far. Their White Silkies are the cutest little chicks!

The feed stores here buy from Meyer, Cackle and Belt. One a little further away buys from Ideal and further still one buys from Privett.

Dealing with a case of double-bumblefoot on one poor little faverolle. Her feathered feet disguised the issue for a while. I think soaking her and cleaning her up tonight has cured me of succumbing to any impulse buys!

Back
Top Bottom