Cause of Denise's puffy eye

lauraorloff

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
Hi Everyone.
My 7 month old Dominique named Denise has a puffy left eye. I attached 2 photos below (one of her normal, right eye & one of her puffy left eye). She's also experiencing a bit of fatigue. Any ideas as to what this is & how best to treat it?
Thank you so much,
Laura

thumbnail_IMG_0223.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0222.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0222.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 2
Have you seen any discharge from the eye, nares or beak? Any bubbles in the eye? Any wheezing, coughing, sneezing? Have you looked in the beak for any plaques or lesions? Any bad smell from around her face?
It could be some kind of injury or infection, or it could be a sign of a respiratory disease. Does the swelling feel very firm, or soft?
Is vet care an option?

It looks a bit like she has some discharge in the left eye, and the puffiness is where sinus infections can occur in things like respiratory infections or MG. If I could get Tylosin powder for her water or get Tylan 50 injectable to give orally, I would do that. Also cleaning the eye with saline and applying Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day would be good.

Have you seen any discharge from the eye, nares or beak? Any bubbles in the eye? Any wheezing, coughing, sneezing? Have you looked in the beak for any plaques or lesions? Any bad smell from around her face?
It could be some kind of injury or infection, or it could be a sign of a respiratory disease. Does the swelling feel very firm, or soft?
Is vet care an option?
Thank you for your response. She looks better this afternoon than this morning. So far, I haven't noticed anything other than the discoloration on the one side & slight puffiness. Vet care is an option, but none close by really see chickens. I'll take her to the vet that's farther away if it gets more severe, but last time I went to the vet with my chickens, it was so expensive. Although, that expensive vet completely fixed the problem.

It looks a bit like she has some discharge in the left eye, and the puffiness is where sinus infections can occur in things like respiratory infections or MG. If I could get Tylosin powder for her water or get Tylan 50 injectable to give orally, I would do that. Also cleaning the eye with saline and applying Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day would be good.
Thank you so much for your response. I'll look into getting those things you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom