CC's Coturnix Color Chat Thread Directory

CoturnixComplex

Crowing
Nov 16, 2018
Hi guys! This is mostly a placeholder for now because I'm sleepy but if I don't get started on it I never will. These are all going to be links to individual threads for most of the major colors and their combinations including links to all the information we can scrounge on the genetics and a place to discuss personal experiences with breeding them.

A lot of these colors already have threads on them, and I might link to useful ones from the new ones, but most are really old and what I'd really like to do is get a much more current/updated roster of who's actively breeding them now and can be available to experiment, share knowledge, and swap stock.

Pharaoh

Tibetan/Red Range/Extended Red/Rosetta

Scarlet

English White/Recessive White/Dotted White/Tuxedo Patterning

Silver/Blue

Silver Pharaoh

Lavender

Falb-fee

Charcoal/Grau-fee

Pearl-fee/Snowie

Golden Italian/Manchurian/Golden Layer/Beige/Fawn

Roux Dilute/Egyptian

Dilute Pharoah

Cream

Platinum

Cinnamon

Chocolate

Orange

Incomplete/Complete Albinos

Pansy/Sparkly/Chocolate Manchurian

German Pastel Red

Sex-Linked Sandy Project

Lavender Manchurian

Think of colors I missed? Studies I haven't read? Have new weird combination projects? Speak up or start a thread and we'll add it to the list!

And I'll leave this link here until I get all the studies linked on their respective color threads. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ccs-big-list-of-coturnix-quail-studies.1295000/

Last edited:
Well, there seems to be a maximum # of times you can edit a thread, so I will have to leave it be and delete/re-create this at the end. I've done more colors than are linked; hunt around if interested.

Well, there seems to be a maximum # of times you can edit a thread, so I will have to leave it be and delete/re-create this at the end. I've done more colors than are linked; hunt around if interested.
I don't know whether or not there is a number limit but there definitely is a time limit. Those who have a PFM can edit their posts for a much longer period of time than those who do not have a PFM.

Even with a PFM there is still a time limit after which only the moderators can edit the posts.

I don't know whether or not there is a number limit but there definitely is a time limit. Those who have a PFM can edit their posts for a much longer period of time than those who do not have a PFM.

Even with a PFM there is still a time limit after which only the moderators can edit the posts.

Oh well, I'll just leave this as is for now and redo it when there are pages for all the links done. :)

Hey! That’s an impressive list of color variations! If you’re focusing on all of the Coturnix varieties, don’t forget the King quail (commonly sold as button quail). When I think of Coturnix, I don’t think of Kings being considered due to their size.

Also, are you considering varieties such as the harlequin and rain quail. They are similar to the Pharaoh varieties, but I recall different origin having different colorations with quail.

Hey! That’s an impressive list of color variations! If you’re focusing on all of the Coturnix varieties, don’t forget the King quail (commonly sold as button quail). When I think of Coturnix, I don’t think of Kings being considered due to their size.

Also, are you considering varieties such as the harlequin and rain quail. They are similar to the Pharaoh varieties, but I recall different origin having different colorations with quail.

I probably should have specified Japanese coturnix - I worry if I include the other species people will think they're just color variations and can interbreed. I'll amend the title to make that clear when I have to redo this with all the links at the end anyways.

I know diddly squat about button colors but if someone else who does wanted to start another one for them I'd be thrilled.

I probably should have specified Japanese coturnix - I worry if I include the other species people will think they're just color variations and can interbreed. I'll amend the title to make that clear when I have to redo this with all the links at the end anyways.

I know diddly squat about button colors but if someone else who does wanted to start another one for them I'd be thrilled.
I understand! From my knowledge, buttons usually have quite a bit of differences. Pure strains are hard to come by. It would be nice to find some. I do not know anyone at the moment with pure, genetically consistent buttons.

Back
Top Bottom