Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics

Thanks!! I stood back and admired how clean bright it was this afternoon....and then reminded myself that chickens are gonna poop in it.
lau.gif

After much research and debating I decided that I would go with the Black Jack #57 roof coating instead of linoleum for the coop floor. I laid it down today. I asked the guy at Lowes to shake the 5 gallon bucket for me when I bought it but he told me that they could not shake roof coating. Well let me tell you it was quite a project to get it stirred up. Sludge like concrete in the bottom half of the bucket. Literally took me 30 minutes to get it incorporated. Once that was done it was a simple enough procedure. Just pour out a good amount and push it up to the walls with a roller and then even it out.

They recommend 2 coats. I voted for one heavy one.
smile.png
I used a little over 2 gallons. That should work out to about the rightish amount for 2 coats. I could not get it to roll out any thinner. Perhaps I'm just clueless on how to do it. Not the easiest substance I've ever worked with. At any rate, it looks good so far. It should definitely seal the floor big time.

25890968013_2dc736c664_c.jpg

It looks good, Terry. In your research, did you find out anything about the white elastomeric roof coating that is available? I have heard it mentioned briefly a couple of times, but nobody really talks much about it, so I wonder if it's as good as the Black Jack 57 is supposed to be.

It looks good, Terry. In your research, did you find out anything about the white elastomeric roof coating that is available? I have heard it mentioned briefly a couple of times, but nobody really talks much about it, so I wonder if it's as good as the Black Jack 57 is supposed to be.

I saw a few mentions of it Finnie but not enough information or real world experience for me to try it. As far as I was concerned it really came down to the Black Jack or linoleum. The Black Jack being bonded to the floor and having the ability to flow into every crack and crevice therefore being totally moisture proof was what tipped the scale for me.

That's pretty much where I am at, too. But I am considering getting a 1 gallon of the Henry's Solar Flex White Roof coating and doing a test of it on one of my poop boards. That way if it isn't all I am hoping it will be, I haven't invested too much or ruined my floor with it. But I have been sold on the Black Jack 57 ever since I first read about it.

It looks good, Terry.  In your research, did you find out anything about the white elastomeric roof coating that is available? I have heard it mentioned briefly a couple of times, but nobody really talks much about it, so I wonder if it's as good as the Black Jack 57 is supposed to be. 

I haven't seen great reviews for it as a roof coating as it doesn't handle low sloped roofs well, with the exception of the silicone stuff. That stuff is practically worth its weight in gold, it's so pricey. But it made me think it might be a good flooring solution since silicone is a rubber. It's non porous, repels water, easy to clean, etc.

I've also considered plastidip. Its outrageously priced as well... But to have a coating like that in the coop and in the nesting boxes... It would make life magical haha. Maybe one day I will try them out. We have to recoat our roof and I think we will use the silicone white so maybe if there are leftovers, I will try it and make a post. Might be a few months though.

I haven't seen great reviews for it as a roof coating as it doesn't handle low sloped roofs well, with the exception of the silicone stuff. That stuff is practically worth its weight in gold, it's so pricey. But it made me think it might be a good flooring solution since silicone is a rubber. It's non porous, repels water, easy to clean, etc.

I've also considered plastidip. Its outrageously priced as well... But to have a coating like that in the coop and in the nesting boxes... It would make life magical haha. Maybe one day I will try them out. We have to recoat our roof and I think we will use the silicone white so maybe if there are leftovers, I will try it and make a post. Might be a few months though.

I would not do the plastidip on anything. We see it on a lot of automotive parts, grilles, wheels etc... and it has not held up well at all. The very design of the product is that it can be peeled off. Obviously not a good thing in our application.

I saw the poor reviews on the Black Jack for it's intended purpose but there are many on the forum that have used it on coop floors with great results. There is a thread that several people have posted in and then followed up even a couple of years later still giving it a good review. It appears to me that the Black Jack is the best and most cost effective option for our purposes. At $47.00 for 5 gallons it is pretty cost effective. I didn't feel like there was any reason to spend any more. If you are doing the different coating on your roof anyway and have left overs then it would be worth a try.

Here's the link to that thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/760028/need-advice-on-using-a-covering-for-plywood-floor-of-coop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom