CHICK DAYS TRACTOR SUPPLY BEWARE

Our tsc in Bartlesville has the friendliest employees. We really don’t expect them to be proffesional chick identifyers but they can offer advice on basic care to newbies. But then we were not into any specific breeds. We just wanted lots of pretty birds in lots of colors to enjoy. Guess if we were into specific types of birds we would go elsewhere to be sure.

This thread just reminded me of the local Big R feed and supply store... where I can't count the number of times I've seen shoppers reach into the bins, clearly marked 'do not handle chicks', take out a chick, look it over, and stick it into another bin - without any concern for what's supposed to be in the different bins! Then again, when I bought chicks there I had to catch them myself... and the lady who was helping me insisted that dangling a chick by the neck to see what it does with its legs is an absolutely guaranteed, scientifically proven way to check gender.
Dangle a live animal by its neck is something we could never do. How traumatic and dangerous for them.

Ok here are a couple pics I took this evening. Pretty sure 6 brahmas and 3 mysteries lol. Any help identifying the grey/blue chicks would be appreciated

2E235D5F-6D06-4EFB-B9BE-06F2BF1837E2.jpeg 02A2E6D3-9B24-4A09-96DB-208C89CF14BF.jpeg 5016ABE1-4D83-4486-A4D7-9AD5384B79B5.jpeg C66DD3AE-CAC2-4762-96D2-A6CDBAB36846.jpeg 6E1D093D-6ECE-4767-AA2F-12331F572165.jpeg 42B8D22D-6917-43A0-A8E1-1399BA6CC277.jpeg E152D532-41D1-4BE9-9373-EC03D6ADCEFA.jpeg 13734AC8-59A5-4D99-8844-776F823EF9B9.jpeg D5780B90-A82D-4356-982B-D2E9677C5D70.jpeg

Really hard to see feather color and leg color with the red light.

The builds and stance say blue Andalusian to me.

If so they are great layers of white eggs.

The trouble is the employees at Tractor Supply get no training for this and most of them have probably never had chickens nor do they know anything about the different breeds.

So if the hatchery happened to accidentally label what was in the box of chicks wrong, the TSC people would have no idea and just put whatever it said on the box. In my first batch of chicks ever I bought a 'gold laced wyandotte' that was actually a red sex link. They look totally different as chicks, but the TSC people didn't know and I, being new to chickens, didn't either.

Or if the box isn't labeled they might just guess and put a sign up for whatever they think they might be.

There's not really anything to be done about this unfortunately, because short of TSC training all its employees to identify most chicken breeds as chicks, mislabeling is gonna happen unless the hatchery gets what's in the box correctly labeled and sends TSC what they say they're sending them.
Perhaps just email customer service about the issue. I am sure they are aware but, you might get some store credit or gift card you could use toward supplies. Won't hurt to try!

Perhaps just email customer service about the issue. I am sure they are aware but, you might get some store credit or gift card you could use toward supplies. Won't hurt to try!

Oh, that was six years ago and I really didn't care much what my birds were so it didn't bother me really :)

I've seen shoppers reach into the bins, clearly marked 'do not handle chicks', take out a chick, look it over, and stick it into another bin
At the 2 TSC's within driving distance of us, and the closer Orscheln's farm store, chick tanks are in a little fenced in area and customers cannot go in or touch the chicks. You can see them.
~~~~~
Both TSC's have the breeds clearly marked on each tank and they do look correct to me, at least the breeds I have had. I have found employees and managers that seem to be knowledgeable and experienced w chickens, where theirs come from, where the feed is made, etc. I haven't bought any chicks at the stores because we are within driving distance of 3 different hatcheries and have always picked them up ourselves.

Last edited:
My tsc is pretty awesome, I know they call me crazy chicken lady even tho they know my name, it’s ok tho, they also defer to everything I tell them as truth too. The hatcherys mess up, tsc are just the ppl who have to be the face of it,

Back
Top Bottom