chicken and beetles

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lotsofloveforchickens, Apr 6, 2018.

1. lotsofloveforchickens

lotsofloveforchickens Chirping

Mar 17, 2018
    I heard that spraying beetles that get into my chicken pen with dawn dish soap and water will kill them. If my chickens should eat the dead beetles that were sprayed could they get sick?

2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I wouldn't spray them. Encourage the chickens to find them and eat them live.

imnukensc and KayTee like this.
  3. KayTee

KayTee Songster

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    x2 - they are a great source of both fun and protein for your girls to hunt and eat. It will keep them occupied and give them a treat !

4. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    I let them get the ones they see during the day, but they come out by the hundreds at night after the chickens are sleeping. you hardly ever see them in the daytime.

5. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    You need to go to Home depot and get flashlights you can strap on your head.Then give one to each of your chicken.They will enjoy night hunting with flashlights strapped to their heads.

6. If dish soap is bad for chickens what is it doing to your health when you keep washing your dirty dishes over and over? I almost expect some health guru MD to come out and advocate that we stop washing our bodies, our eating utensils, and our clothes because soap is "toxic" and filth is good for us. :barnie:th:oops:

lotsofloveforchickens likes this.
  7. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    that's funny I kind of did that! I had a flashlight and brought my hen out with me and she had a ball. I just don't want to have to do this every night

8. Is it legal for chickens to spot light bugs after dark?

Morgsgirl likes this.
  9. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    I guess I do it in my own yard all the time. my hen loves it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: