Chicken blinking one eye and opening and closing its beak

Laylashens

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2019
Charlottesville, VA
Hey all. This morning I went to go check on the chickens and I found Jazzy, my 2 1/2 year old black australorp behaving weirdly. She was in the corner, sitting on her haunches, blinking one eye and clicking her beak together really fast. Jazzy has always been a bit strange; she used to do this blinking thing, but would snap out of it much quicker. She was reclusive and would hang out by herself in the corner. She didn’t move very fast and also spent her time alone while free ranging, usually standing under a bush. However, after contracting scaly leg mites, I had to pick her up and wash her legs. For whatever reason, this made her more energetic and friendly. Now she is my little shadow, and socializes with other chickens. She stopped the weird blinking behavior, and everything was good until this morning. I locked her up in one of the chicken coops right in front of some food and water. The others tried to peck her, drew blood, and she didn’t even react. Just kept blinking away. If anyone has any ideas of what this could be, I’d be grateful! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom