amynw

Songster
Apr 25, 2020
Hello, I have a 21 week old Midnight Majesty Maran along with 12 other assorted chickens. Theyve been laying for a few weeks now. Recently, I have watched her have 3 soft eggs. When I say she has them, she just drops them out. Whatever shes doing, they just drop out. She doesnt squak and make the noises the other chickens do when they lay. She has had them from the porch banister, and from the ground. I saw her do it again about 15 minutes ago under our back porch. It's just like shes pooping them out and doesnt even notice it. She goes on about her day. When she has them, there is also a "yolky" looking liquid that comes from her bum. I have attached pictures. They free range through the day but their coop stays open from the time I let them out around 6:30 am to the time they put themselves away in the evening around 5:30 and their coop has a feeder in it with layer pellets in it that they have access to 24 hours a day. What is causing this? What do I do to fix it?

Attachments

• 20201209_134316.jpg
    20201209_134316.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201209_134222.jpg
    20201209_134222.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201209_134242.jpg
    20201209_134242.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 14
Giving them crushed oyster shells can help. You can get them at pretty much any feed store. Had a similar episode about three weeks ago with one of my white leghorns. I added more oyster shells to their feed, and made sure they had lots of water, and she went right back to laying huge eggs within a day or two. Good luck! :thumbsup
:barnieyou beat me

Giving them crushed oyster shells can help. You can get them
Giving them crushed oyster shells can help. You can get them at pretty much any feed store. Had a similar episode about three weeks ago with one of my white leghorns. I added more oyster shells to their feed, and made sure they had lots of water, and she went right back to laying huge eggs within a day or two. Good luck! :thumbsup

Thank you for the fast response! Glad to hear it's not totally unheard of. Shes grown tired of me following her around and touching her and checking on her so I think shes ready for a solution too😂 Tractor supply is only about 2 miles up the road so that is a very easy fix. Do I just mix that in with their feed? Or leave it by itself?

Thank you for the fast response! Glad to hear it's not totally unheard of. Shes grown tired of me following her around and touching her and checking on her so I think shes ready for a solution too😂 Tractor supply is only about 2 miles up the road so that is a very easy fix. Do I just mix that in with their feed? Or leave it by itself?
I would put it by itself so she can choose how much she needs

I agree with this advise. How long has she been laying? Some of this may remedy itself as she matures. She definitely need some type of calcium and oyster shell works fast.

Oyster shell probably won't resolve this. It's not that easy for some layers to digest and absorb this form of calcium. One soft egg, maybe you could chalk it up to beginner's glitch, but this appears to be a developing pattern, and eventually, there's going to be trouble.

Here's an article I recently wrote that will give you a better picture of what the consequences could be. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Get some of this.
P1010010.JPG
Give your pullet one whole capsule directly into her beak right now. Don't worry, she'll swallow no problem. Give her one a day until she starts laying normal eggs with a quality shell, and then continue for a couple days beyond to be sure.

Hi, everyone! She seems to be doing much better. She was laying for approx. 3 weeks when I made this post. I started saving all of their egg shells after we ate them (13 girls laying total), and dry them and put them in a blender and add them back to their feed with oyster shell and it seems to have worked. She has laid 3 soft eggs since my last post. So she occasionally has her days, but for the most part she has a more regular pattern now. Thank you everyone for all the help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom