Chickens and Bunnies shared yard?

I'd really appreciate some more on the cage vs. colony raising in contrast to yard. I was trying to map out things so everything had sufficient room, but I hadn't ever considered does, so that was very helpful and something to consider! I've never read about aggressive does before, and we only had issues with bucks when I was a kid.

We have plans set aside for keeping an eye on population control! Though, we're still watching everything we can at the moment. From my understanding, two does and a buck is enough to feed a family of five for a while... We're sort of preppers, and I've plans in place for how I want to use everything, but I'm still afraid of too much and stuff going to waste...
Some of the things I'm getting are that young bunnies shouldn't just be dropped into a pen of adult bunnies and expected to be happy. I certainly wouldn't expect such a thing, so we'll have a growing pen, and as I bluntly put on my prints "Feeder (F)" "Feeder (M)" and "Breeder" pens 😅

Considering the possibility of aggressive ones will change just about everything, though, so I'll have plenty of pages to add to my binder!

In general rabbits should not be raised on the ground as this allows them access to so many hungry parasites. Best to just keep them in hutches off the ground. The wire doesnt usually bother them. Ive read 3 books on rabbit rearing to prep for our own and they all said this.

That is the way I raised my rabbits, in wire cages, but I am open to raising colony rabbits if it works. I never had any problems with my rabbits on wire cage floors.

I've read a lot saying that colonizing meat rabbits has reared some of the best, given the general behavior of rabbits, but I am still looking everyday!

I'd be interested in learning more about colony rabbits. Please post any links if you have some. I'm open to ideas that I have not tried.

Funny thing:
I was just added a Resource list to the front page before checking this comment 😂

Because ya'll have been so helpful to offer some resources here, I started putting up a list of things I've already gone through and things I'm currently working on reading/watching.
And hopefully it'll help out others, too!

I'd really appreciate some more on the cage vs. colony raising in contrast to yard. I was trying to map out things so everything had sufficient room, but I hadn't ever considered does, so that was very helpful and something to consider! I've never read about aggressive does before, and we only had issues with bucks when I was a kid.

We have plans set aside for keeping an eye on population control! Though, we're still watching everything we can at the moment. From my understanding, two does and a buck is enough to feed a family of five for a while... We're sort of preppers, and I've plans in place for how I want to use everything, but I'm still afraid of too much and stuff going to waste...
Some of the things I'm getting are that young bunnies shouldn't just be dropped into a pen of adult bunnies and expected to be happy. I certainly wouldn't expect such a thing, so we'll have a growing pen, and as I bluntly put on my prints "Feeder (F)" "Feeder (M)" and "Breeder" pens 😅

Considering the possibility of aggressive ones will change just about everything, though, so I'll have plenty of pages to add to my binder!
You would also need to keep an eye on inbreeding. That happens too. Plus rodents especially males will eat their young

Funny thing:
I was just added a Resource list to the front page before checking this comment 😂

Because ya'll have been so helpful to offer some resources here, I started putting up a list of things I've already gone through and things I'm currently working on reading/watching.
And hopefully it'll help out others, too!

Very nice. I'll be checking out those links. I, for one, am interested in learning more about this issue.

I was thinking about this last week. Funny I came across this thread now.

It sends very possible.
An aggressive roster may be a problem as week as an overly hormonal buck who could try breeding a hen. Male hormones... sorry ladies.
Rabbits are generally very genial and can be skiddish, so introduction to the chickens should be gradual so they get used to each other. Feeding is where I feel there's the biggest problem. Rabbits and chicken feed and chickens eating rabbit feed may not be desirable. One solution is to feed them in their dedicated housing before letting them out in the morning and after locking down in the evening (btw, I would still have a dedicated shelter/hutch for the rabbits and a coop for the chickens). Rabbits will eat hay and greens throughout the day in the run and chickens will gladly pack at these as well, keeping both animals well-snacked during the day. That said, I really do like free-feeding, meaning leaving food accessible at all times. I haven't figured out how to make that work though yet...

I would like to get Flemish Giants, 1 buck and 2 or 3 does. Our 8 chickens are large breeds. No bantams. The smallest are the Speckled Sussex and Gold Laced Wyandotte.

What types of rabbits are you thinking of getting?
Are the chickens bantams or large breeds?

After a bar attack we kept ours together. We had no issues the rabbits even shared the coop with the chickens. We even had a gat to keep the rabbits in while we let the chickens out to free range. My daughter (her rabbits) sold them so we don’t have that situation now, it worked out fine..

I was thinking about this last week. Funny I came across this thread now.

It sends very possible.
An aggressive roster may be a problem as week as an overly hormonal buck who could try breeding a hen. Male hormones... sorry ladies.
Rabbits are generally very genial and can be skiddish, so introduction to the chickens should be gradual so they get used to each other. Feeding is where I feel there's the biggest problem. Rabbits and chicken feed and chickens eating rabbit feed may not be desirable. One solution is to feed them in their dedicated housing before letting them out in the morning and after locking down in the evening (btw, I would still have a dedicated shelter/hutch for the rabbits and a coop for the chickens). Rabbits will eat hay and greens throughout the day in the run and chickens will gladly pack at these as well, keeping both animals well-snacked during the day. That said, I really do like free-feeding, meaning leaving food accessible at all times. I haven't figured out how to make that work though yet...

I would like to get Flemish Giants, 1 buck and 2 or 3 does. Our 8 chickens are large breeds. No bantams. The smallest are the Speckled Sussex and Gold Laced Wyandotte.

What types of rabbits are you thinking of getting?
Are the chickens bantams or large breeds?
Any reason you picked flemish giants? Giant breeds tend to be bony and fatty. I know it seems like you'd get more meat but you really dont. I'm planning on New Zealands. The white fur can be dyed to whatever you like and they are a good medium breed. About 2-3lbs of meat per rabbit. Check out "Storeys guide to raising rabbits". I highly recommend it.

Any reason you picked flemish giants? Giant breeds tend to be bony and fatty. I know it seems like you'd get more meat but you really dont. I'm planning on New Zealands. The white fur can be dyed to whatever you like and they are a good medium breed. About 2-3lbs of meat per rabbit. Check out "Storeys guide to raising rabbits". I highly recommend it.
I really like the Flemish Giants just... We would keep then as pets primarily. I wouldn't be against breeding them for food and fur, but would likely sell the babies as pets and breeders.

Back
Top Bottom