Chickens Fav Treats!!!!

I have 6 girls that are very spoiled. They get a basket of freshly cut herbs and greens every day. Some of their personal favorites are oatmeal with raisins, pancakes (no syrup), any kitchen scraps - and a head of cabbage hung from a string like a piñata will keep them busy for at least a day!

Min have been loving strawberries and bananas topped with plain Greek yogurt - spoiled little girls. I've also chopped up leftover steak and they loved it!

Seems like tons of people give their chickens yogurt. I also used to, but about a year ago read something in the "Chicken Whisperer" which said chickens' digestive systems really aren't meant to handle dairy, so a better way to get them probiotics is to give them probios powder (or something similar). When I had some diarrhea in my flock, I actually ended up taking a couple in to see an avian vet, and after confirming they didn't have intestinal parasites, he also recommended probios powder vs. yogurt/dairy. So, mine do get the probios sprinkled over some rice or corn on a daily basis. Just curious if anyone else has been advised to avoid dairy products?

They are 10 weeks old in this picture. I didnt think owning chickens would be this much fun, but it is!

Same here. I had no idea the endless hours of entertainment I would get from these chickens.

I love them beyond understanding! Lol! Sometimes I'll sit outside and talk to them, and they will actually gather around (probably waiting for a treat), but they seem like they are talking to me too. I'm sure family members think I've gone round the bend! I don't even care!
wink.png

Seems like tons of people give their chickens yogurt. I also used to, but about a year ago read something in the "Chicken Whisperer" which said chickens' digestive systems really aren't meant to handle dairy, so a better way to get them probiotics is to give them probios powder (or something similar). When I had some diarrhea in my flock, I actually ended up taking a couple in to see an avian vet, and after confirming they didn't have intestinal parasites, he also recommended probios powder vs. yogurt/dairy. So, mine do get the probios sprinkled over some rice or corn on a daily basis. Just curious if anyone else has been advised to avoid dairy products?
fermented feed is a fantastic alternative to increase probiotics and other health benefits as well as reducing coat/waste.
http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

fermented feed is a fantastic alternative to increase probiotics and other health benefits as well as reducing coat/waste.
http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

I am very intrigued but just don't have the time right now to add in one more "Animal Chore" to my day. I did try sprouting seeds over the winter hoping to give them some variety in green stuff, but they were sort of indifferent to it. I admire people who have made this part of their routine though, it makes a ton of sense to me and it's clear the chickens love it!

I am very intrigued but just don't have the time right now to add in one more "Animal Chore" to my day. I did try sprouting seeds over the winter hoping to give them some variety in green stuff, but they were sort of indifferent to it. I admire people who have made this part of their routine though, it makes a ton of sense to me and it's clear the chickens love it!
I find the fermented feed far less time consuming than the dry feed.
They waste less so I'm not refilling all the time.
I almost gave up on chickens when I was feeding dry, and thought "I'm not going to ferment that's too much work" so I've been there lol.

back when peep was still alive, they loved watermelon, lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, bread, cantaloupe, honeydew, apples, rears, and almost ANYTHING else. but, for some reason, they absolutely loved the dry dog food for my German short-haired pointer. Ol' Roy brand dry dog food, they waited until i got home from school for that. Peep would stand on my feet and make me pour it right when i brought it out the door and chase me for hours while i walked around shaking the cans.but anything else, was just fine as well, especially sweet fruits and vegetables. squash still loves all of that but hasn't eaten quite as much since peep died.

Back
Top Bottom