Chickens wont get water in the snow

You will want to add some more and probably make that bigger. But, It can wait till after the storm. I personally would take that vent out and cut the opening to the gable. also cut something similar on the opposite wall. Then, cover both with hardware cloth. The one vent not covered by the run, you may want to put some sort of "roof" over it to keep weather out. I would make some sort of awning....

Definitely get the ventilation addressed but I wouldn't worry too much about them not drinking. Mine get water inside but they won't go out in the crazy wind/snow they usually will wait for it do die down. Personally, I keep their food and water inside the coop versus outside it now but I wouldn't worry too much if you don't see them drinking. As long as otherwise they're acting normal my girls sometimes drink tons and sometimes drink nothing during the day.

I normally leave the north and west walls solid due to prevailing winds. However, the last two buildings I built have close to 3' X 4' open windows on both east and west walls and the wind blows right through at roost height. Sometimes slow blowing in. Chickens have been in there down to -19F and never a sick bird.
I have huge open windows and breezes come in on occasion... but this coop is wee little. Not really big enough for 4 birds.

You're fine! What I would do is probably convert the entire coop/run combo into a coop. Cover the sides with exterior plywood and re-work the interior. Then create a new run. I think that would be the easiest with what you have....
Then maybe convert a shed.
I could do something like that, your idea makes sense and doesnt seem too hard

Back
Top Bottom