coccidiosis, any hope...

ALong12

Songster
Mar 6, 2019
Noticed Sunday some strange droppings in my super blue egg layers coop & there is also 2 leghorns in there chicks range from 4 weeks to almost 3 months (same size, I have a blue & white leghorn chicks with them right now)
anyways droppings looked like intestinal shedding so I was immediately concerned, well today after church I went to check on them & give some love & noticed the blood. I went into a panic!
Off to the store to get corid!
Got home & got them started on it as well as my “yard peckers” that free range around the coop
my Question is what out come should I be looking at
none of them showed signed of illness except a cross beaked one I had (when I felt her, I could tell she was not getting enough to eating even though Ive done all measures & wasnt growing like the others, had to euthanize her :(...

Noticed Sunday some strange droppings in my super blue egg layers coop & there is also 2 leghorns in there chicks range from 4 weeks to almost 3 months (same size, I have a blue & white leghorn chicks with them right now)
anyways droppings looked like intestinal shedding so I was immediately concerned, well today after church I went to check on them & give some love & noticed the blood. I went into a panic!
Off to the store to get corid!
Got home & got them started on it as well as my “yard peckers” that free range around the coop
my Question is what out come should I be looking at
none of them showed signed of illness except a cross beaked one I had (when I felt her, I could tell she was not getting enough to eating even though Ive done all measures & wasnt growing like the others, had to euthanize her :(...
Do you have photos of the poop?

Can you explain your question a bit more - Any hope?
Coccidia is found in soil and poop, chicks can have an overload which is usually successfully treated with a Coccidiostat like Corid (Amprolium). Corid acts as a Thiamine (B1) blocker and mimics B1. The Coccidia feed off that and it starves them allowing the chick's to build resistance. Basically it reduces the number found in the intestines and the chick is able to fight it off.

I would finish up the round of Corid for all of them. Even if they appear to be doing o.k. an overload of Coccidiosis can be damaging to the intestines and possibly they can have problems later on down the road. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

I'm sorry to hear about your cross beak chick.

Coccidia is found in soil and poop, chicks can have an overload which is usually successfully treated with a Coccidiostat like Corid (Amprolium). Corid acts as a Thiamine (B1) blocker and mimics B1. The Coccidia feed off that and it starves them allowing the chick's to build resistance. Basically it reduces the number found in the intestines and the chick is able to fight it off.

I would finish up the round of Corid for all of them. Even if they appear to be doing o.k. an overload of Coccidiosis can be damaging to the intestines and possibly they can have problems later on down the road. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

i did

no i dont have picture i’ll see about getting one later
Saturday the poop that I was keeping an eye on was bright red stringy
then Yesterday there were blobs on actual blood so i jumped & went to get corid

as my question... will my chicks survive this

i did

no i dont have picture i’ll see about getting one later
Saturday the poop that I was keeping an eye on was bright red stringy
then Yesterday there were blobs on actual blood so i jumped & went to get corid

as my question... will my chicks survive this
Generally they will survive an overload if you start treating them immediately.

What dosage of Corid are you using?

I'm attaching the dosing chart below, just to be sure you are using the correct dosing, use the severe outbreak dosing on the chart.
Also you can give an oral dose to any that are showing symptoms or having bloody droppings, the oral dose is in addition to the medicated water. Dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Severity depends on the particular strain of coccidia you are dealing with and how much damage has been done to the digestive tract, when caught early there is a very good chance they will recover.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

here is a pocket from this morning, i think the cross beak was my major culprit :/

i was told 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days
so that’s what ive beem doing since yesterday

Attachments

• 8651F397-4498-4DB3-BF04-EFB241A76C3C.jpeg
    8651F397-4498-4DB3-BF04-EFB241A76C3C.jpeg
    649.2 KB · Views: 16
If you are using the powder then correct dose is 1.5 tsp per gallon, if using the liquid it is 2 tsp per gallon. With a dropping like that I would treat. I would increase to the correct dose and start the 5 days over. And give the drench to those you can ID with symptoms. If you have a vet that will do a fecal for you that would also be a good idea. Shed intestinal lining can sometimes be an indication of other internal parasites(worms) also, which would require treating with a different medication if found.

here is a pocket from this morning, i think the cross beak was my major culprit :/

i was told 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days
so that’s what ive beem doing since yesterday

scratch that picture it was from yesterday not today. I have sat and watch them and none of them have had abnormal poops except one that has mild diarrhea
so apparently I culled the culprit of the bloody poop

Back
Top Bottom