Cock Feather Thieves at Fairs - Gain from our experience

Now I fill bad. Im new to the pet chickens. I found them on the side of the road and took them home. I love them.
I have feather in my hair but now I will not be buying anymore. this is nuts what people are doing for the feathers.
sorry to all the rooster!

That's sad to hear
sad.png

I've heard of people stealing birds at shows, but stealing their feathers C'Mon!

Now I've got to keep a sharper eye out at the shows.
hmm.png

Quote:
It was during the day. A parent saw her open the cage of another 4Her's bird and told her that she wasn't allowed to touch or handle the poultry. She said something like, "Oh, okay" and then walked away. The parent thought it was fishy, and did some more checking. Come to find out she had clipped sickles off of several cocks before she was discovered.

I believe she was removed from the fair grounds after claiming that several feathers in her possession were ostrich feathers.

Hmmmm.....NOT.

Been sellling MY Dominique and EE roo hackle and saddle feathers to the local salon.

Before you get your HACKLES up (ha!) , I am VERY GENTLE WITH THEM, and they appear to hardly notice. I freeze the feathers in a baggie for about three days to kill ANYTHING that might crawl (though have never seen anything), then shampoo them and iron them flat.

I get $2 per feather (undyed) at two different salons in town. They charge $11 to $13 to clamp them in stupid girl's hair. Tacky, but profitable.
wink.png

$4 a dozen for my Hi-O eggs and I am MORE than paying the freight on my feed! And FINALLY the roos are earning their keep!

Good luck y'all...and the hacking the ponytail idea is AWESOME!!!!!

Hmmm.... stolen feathers?? My OEGB went from full to bald in the saddle dept. over night it seemed. I blamed the feather eating hen, as my coops have locks on them, and I didn't see any feathers inside... its been a mystery until now! But you've got me thinking.....

I bet one of the hens has a cohort on the outside that is selling the feathers she plucks out of my roo!!! And she's probably getting paid in MEALWORMS!!!
ep.gif

(Yeah, I agree with the ponytail chopping)

Sunny CA, love it!
clap.gif

I think it must surely be the hair deco fad. I don't think there are that many applications for the long tail sickles in fly tying - they mostly use saddle and neck hackle. I seriously doubt any fly fishing shop would pay for hacked off sickles. Some patterns also use hen saddle feathers, so technically there might be a market for them, but they don't sell for as much as good long, heavy rooster hackle.

Our county fair is coming up, I will DEFINITELY be on the lookout! We just had a Corn Festival, and there was a booth selling feather hair extensions, so the fad is even in the Ky mountains. Our fair only shows and judges the birds for a few hours. I think we'll be there with them the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom