Color Genetic Guesses on This Rooster

He's a pretty heavy boy - not what I would expect out of a Leghorn. He also isn't neurotic and I tend to associate that flighty personality with Leghorns.

But just because he's pretty chill and larger doesn't mean Leghorn isn't part of his pedigree.

What about the hackles? If it is D. White, what would be causing the red to gold fade? His hackles are NOT white (compare the lightest color to the white on his tail).

White Leghorns are extended black?
The crosses I've done never showed that.

That is interesting. I didn't know Dominant White affected non-white colors, as well - even to a lesser degree.

This is why we need you color gurus. Each time I think I've figured something out I find out I know way less than I thought. :)

Thanks for the information. That helps me decide what to do with him.

That is interesting. I didn't know Dominant White affected non-white colors, as well - even to a lesser degree.

This is why we need you color gurus. Each time I think I've figured something out I find out I know way less than I thought. :)

Thanks for the information. That helps me decide what to do with him.
It's a contant battle Red Pyle breeds deal with, often the ones shown and win are Heterozygous dominant White.

images.jpeg

White Leghorns can't be use on sex linked crosses due to them being Extended Black at the e locus, to learn more about what are the genetic background of the RSL Cross just look at my thread about it.

As for the pattern on the rooster, it's Gold base Columbian with dominant white, Enter this on the chicken color calculator: eWh/eWh(Wheaten), Co/Co(Columbia), Mh/Mh(Mahogany), s+/s+(sex linked golg), I/I(Dominant White)
Ah, I thought they used white leghorns with the silver gene. I didn’t know they had extended black?

If dominate white Leghorns are mostly based on extended black and some on birchen doesn't it seem very odd that black leghorns are so few and far between in the states and birchen are unheard of?

If dominate white Leghorns are mostly based on extended black and some on birchen doesn't it seem very odd that black leghorns are so few and far between in the states and birchen are unheard of?
The Main reason is that the SOP calls for Clear Yellow shanks, its nearly impossible to have black chickens with Yellow shanks, this is not the casé for Dominant White diluted birds as it clears any epidermal melanin

Back
Top Bottom