Coop and Run for Turkey and Chicken

tandcfox

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
NE Missouri
We have about 10 chickens in an 8x8 coop right now and would like to add 2 turkeys to the mix. Is that a big enough coop? Also the run will be about 40x48. We also have 2 geese and 4 ducks that share the run but have their own house. But the ducks and geese get let out in the goat pen when there are weeds so that would only be part of the time. Do you think the turkeys will be alright with that amount of space? Also for all the people that have turkeys, are there any kinds that do better enclosed like this? Thanks for the responses.

We have about 10 chickens in an 8x8 coop right now and would like to add 2 turkeys to the mix. Is that a big enough coop? Also the run will be about 40x48. We also have 2 geese and 4 ducks that share the run but have their own house. But the ducks and geese get let out in the goat pen when there are weeds so that would only be part of the time. Do you think the turkeys will be alright with that amount of space? Also for all the people that have turkeys, are there any kinds that do better enclosed like this? Thanks for the responses.
Turkeys need at least 10sqft of coop space, but they prefer to roost outside.
Also a Tom turkey needs at least 3 hens. If they don't have enough hens they tend to squish chicken hens.
Is black head in your area? Chickens are carrier but don't show symptoms. Turkeys tend to die from it

I would say that your coop is already 'full'....
...turkeys need more space than chickens do.
What do you think would be an adequate space for a dozen chickens and 2 hen turkeys? Also do you keep them together and how has it gone, thank you.

What do you think would be an adequate space for a dozen chickens and 2 hen turkeys? Also do you keep them together and how has it gone, thank you.
Have never had turkey's myself,
but would give them lots of space and house them separately from the chickens.
They are BIG birds!

Years ago we ordered free-range, organic, pasture-raised, college-educated (okay that last one was a joke but given the price we paid, maybe not) turkey. Honestly, I couldn't taste any difference from our normal fresh turkey. Dp has voiced wanting to raise our own holiday turkey, but since they need so much room, is home raising turkey worth it?

Years ago we ordered free-range, organic, pasture-raised, college-educated (okay that last one was a joke but given the price we paid, maybe not) turkey. Honestly, I couldn't taste any difference from our normal fresh turkey. Dp has voiced wanting to raise our own holiday turkey, but since they need so much room, is home raising turkey worth it?

Heritage turkeys taste different than BB

Back
Top Bottom