Coop Finshed!!!!! I have built homes, poured concrete, and>>>>>

CityChickenJon

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Never been this cut up! Thank god for that wire!!! Here is the finshed product. Tell me what you think, first coop I have ever worked on. Any tips that I need to add to it, or anything please let me know. I just seen that I also need to add the ramp to the loft. Look like I will have to get my kids to get in there to add it, I will never fit. I may fit in there but I wouldnever get out again. LOL Jon

DSCF1728.jpg

DSCF1729.jpg

DSCF1730.jpg

DSCF1731.jpg

DSCF1732.jpg

Looks nice! However, I wonder whether those doors on the slanted side of your coop are going to leak in the rain.

It all looked really good Jon until I got to the last
Couple of pictures. If my eyes are counting correctly
This morning, you have 6 chicks now, and going to
Pick up 3 more and that will give you 9 chicks which
Will fit in there fine right now, but in about a month
It is going to get very cramped in there.

Unless your coop is much bigger than what my eyes
Are telling me jon, its just not going to be big enough.
But other than that, it looks great!

Good luck Jon,

CT

Four of the 6 will be leaving in about nine weeks, at the end of which it will become less crowded. Also my plans are to let them out everyday in the evening to do what chicken do until bed time that is my plan anyway. Also the pictures were taken with the nesting boxes on the coop. I have a temperary guest house built for the extra. I will not have eggs for awhile so I figure I am safe having the guest house on untile they get older. The guest house is A frame and 3' Long by 3' by 2' tall , makes the coop 6' Long by 5' by 3' tall.I have thought this out a little, and I am probably getting in over my head but I will treat the girls right. Jon

Quote:
How would you make them leak proof, I guess I could add some flashing. To keep the girls dry.

I think you did a nice job. If I'm reading it right, with the extra piece attached you'll have 30 sq. ft. for (eventually) five chickens, right? But they'll be in it the vast majority of the time (until you get home from work, probably) and I'm not sure that that will be enough for them to be in together a lot of hours per day without getting bored and picking on each other, pulling out feathers, etc. I think you might eventually need to either expand it some more or get rid of another couple of birds. I can't tell, will they be outside in the covered run during the day or just the coop? The run would give them some more room to spread out but if it's not pretty predator proof you're probably not comfortable leaving them out in it during the day.

Cool design, though! Funny about sending the kids in to attach the ramp!

Quote:
Yes they have the run off both the coop and the run outside. That part of my yard only gets sun in the moring so thy will not get to hot. I figured that I would have to eventuallly expand this coop was just a starter. I may extent it up, this summer. give them a little more room. Jon

Back
Top Bottom