Cornish Cross' first egg !

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Well my only remaining Cornish Cross who was born on April 13th layed her first egg today! And I knew it was going to happen today. I watched her roaming and nibbling grass. I noticed two things. One she kept looking for a bush to hide under and just wanted to hide in the dark. And two, her rump looked distended. So I immediately ran and got her nest box and put it in the coop and she hopped right in it.

I went away for a little over an hour and when i went back just now, she was sipping water and panting looking deranged and exhausted.
lol.png

I looked in the nest box and there it was! Her first tube shaped brown egg!
big_smile.png

The thing that astonishes me the most is that I could predict it to within 1 hour of the event. Either I AM psychic or I am just very intuned with my animals. I told DH she was about to lay her first egg. He said no she isn't. He picked her up and said that's just fat on her bottom. I said no, I sense an egg in there wanting to drop. When I just showed it to him, he was amazed. I said you should learn to believe me.
wink.png

10412_first_egg.jpg

10412_hen_n_egg.jpg
10412_nest_box.jpg

That white stuff is DE in and around the nestbox.
10412_hen_n_egg_2.jpg

dixy

PS

Here is the little lady just 4 months ago fresh out of an egg herself!
10412_babies010611.jpg

Last edited:
I have Australorp roosters that are 2 months younger than her. My goal is to introduce her to one of them and let the have some chicks in about 2 months.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom