Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

A good set of clippers is worth its' weight in gold! I've groomed my own for years, as well - three peek-a-poos in my misspent youth, a Labradoodle waaaaaay before they were cool (Waldo was an oops!) a Cocker and assorted other coated babies. Then there were the long-haired cats who/that insisted on surfing the barn rafters. Oh - and my current sweetheart, Indy-go-out-the-window-of-a-moving-minivan-in-the-middle-of-896-in-the-middle-of-rush-hour, "Indigo," or "Indy" for short. He's a cock-a-poo, we think. He was a stray, but how anyone could just dump such a sweet animal is beyond me.
I even did the local tri-state show circuit with my little Shi-Tzu, years ago. She was only eight pounds, but most of it was hair ... a floor-length show coat. It was a LOT of work, but she loved it. She was the only dog I've ever had who loved baths, probably because it meant three solid hours of Mom-time! I remember telling my Dad that Chu loved bathing and he didn't believe me. so I asked her, "Chu! Ya wanna get wet?" She took off like a flash and my Dad burst out laughing. I told him to go ahead and laugh, but to check out the bathtub while he did. He came back downstairs shaking his head, because he'd pulled back the curtain and there she was ... IN the bathtub! She was so excited that he felt guilty bringing her back downstairs. She sulked until he left, so I ended up giving her one, anyway, I still have a Shih-Tzu shaped hole in my heart. Chu-Chu was a BLAST!
I do my puppies hair. It’s well worth doing it myself. A small dog like her costs $80 every cut and that’s almost every 2 weeks!

Then you would ab-so-freakin-lutly-Luv-our home grown :

http://www.recycledbooks.com/
3 stories of awesomeness
We have something similar - 2nd and Charles, in nearby Delaware. It's in an old Waldenbooks store - and it's all resale and bargain finds. I LOVE to go in and browse & read & just wander. Guess I won't be doing that for awhile yet, though ... if they even survive ...

A good set of clippers is worth its' weight in gold! I've groomed my own for years, as well - three peek-a-poos in my misspent youth, a Labradoodle waaaaaay before they were cool (Waldo was an oops!) a Cocker and assorted other coated babies. Then there were the long-haired cats who/that insisted on surfing the barn rafters. Oh - and my current sweetheart, Indy-go-out-the-window-of-a-moving-minivan-in-the-middle-of-896-in-the-middle-of-rush-hour, "Indigo," or "Indy" for short. He's a cock-a-poo, we think. He was a stray, but how anyone could just dump such a sweet animal is beyond me.
I even did the local tri-state show circuit with my little Shi-Tzu, years ago. She was only eight pounds, but most of it was hair ... a floor-length show coat. It was a LOT of work, but she loved it. She was the only dog I've ever had who loved baths, probably because it meant three solid hours of Mom-time! I remember telling my Dad that Chu loved bathing and he didn't believe me. so I asked her, "Chu! Ya wanna get wet?" She took off like a flash and my Dad burst out laughing. I told him to go ahead and laugh, but to check out the bathtub while he did. He came back downstairs shaking his head, because he'd pulled back the curtain and there she was ... IN the bathtub! She was so excited that he felt guilty bringing her back downstairs. She sulked until he left, so I ended up giving her one, anyway, I still have a Shih-Tzu shaped hole in my heart. Chu-Chu was a BLAST!
Awww that's so cute! My Yorkie has a long coat. She's a year old and still has lots of puppy energy. I think it's just part of her personality. She like to rub her face against things - anything to mess up her top-knot. And she'll roll around on her back on top of a toy. She has a longer skirt, about 6 inches maybe. And I've let the hair around her feet fan out. But man does she hate grooming. When we first got her, after her hair grew out, I didn't realize their were so many layers. Any tips on brushing out around her mouth? It gets all dirty and she hates when I try to comb it

Any tips on brushing out around her mouth? It gets all dirty and she hates when I try to comb it
Do it every day with a comb ... and give her a "special" treat afterwards, like maybe a fingertip full of peanut butter to lick. Not only is it tasty for them, but it's really good for their coat.You can even let her lick it while you comb. She'll likely be so busy with the peanut butter that she'll ignore the comb. Some people smear it on a plate & hold it vertically to be licked ... keeps 'em busy longer!

Awww that's so cute! My Yorkie has a long coat. She's a year old and still has lots of puppy energy. I think it's just part of her personality. She like to rub her face against things - anything to mess up her top-knot. And she'll roll around on her back on top of a toy. She has a longer skirt, about 6 inches maybe. And I've let the hair around her feet fan out. But man does she hate grooming. When we first got her, after her hair grew out, I didn't realize their were so many layers. Any tips on brushing out around her mouth? It gets all dirty and she hates when I try to comb it
Yeah, do mini trims. A few minutes on the ears. Then take a break. Then the breast plate area, take a break. Then the snout *with scissors* only, take a break.
Then do the belly & spine.... Then a break....
Then either pair of legs completely OR, all 4 legs then break and come back for paws.

Do this a few times and then you should start to be able to bigger combos. Eventually the pup will stay for the entire gig... May take you a year....(shrugs)

Then you would ab-so-freakin-lutly-Luv-our home grown :

http://www.recycledbooks.com/
3 stories of awesomeness
Oh, that place looks wonderful. One of my absolute favorite places are libraries and book stores. Big ones, little ones, and every size in between. Both are places I'm really missing right now.
I buy used books all the time. A lot come from thrift stores. I don’t see the point in buying new when the old are just as good.
I'm like you, why pay $25 for a book when I can get it for $4. Most are library books pulled from circulation and are in great shape. I love to browse books stores of all kinds as well as thrift stores, but when I'm looking for a specific book I usually order it online from one of several large online used book sellers.

I primarily am thee dog groomer here for our pack. The kiddos are starting to learn.....

The trimmers paid for themselves the 1st year and even the blade sharpening paid for self inside the same year as well.

Same here, just too costly to have to take 2-3 dogs in to regularly be bathed, trimmed, groomed, etc. Plus I seem to have an attraction to adopting the most nervous nellies, so they really don't do well being handled by other people.

Haven't had to shave a dog in a few years but yes I think I paid off the cost of clippers within two trimmings.

I'm a "browser," too! I have a few favorite "junque shoppes," all of which have been closed for the duration. I managed to get a "fix," last week, when I happened to be out front when the proprietor of one was delivering more goodies. He wasn't officially "open," but he let us stay (we slipped in right behind him and his box. He didn't realize we were there and we didn't realize we weren't supposed to be. I just saw the open door and my reflexes kicked in!
We (DD, DS & I offered to leave, but since we were the only ones in the store, he let us stay and shop (he was allowed to be open, just wasn't, yet.) I had an entire antique store to myself!!!!! It was WONDERFUL! I found a little wooden chair and some antique textiles for making doll clothes. I'm happy ... and good for another couple of weeks before I need to root around again!
OMG I love browsing thrift stores for antique/vintage stuff! I haven't been able to get my fix in forever. I've found some extremely good deals sometimes. My friend loves antique shops (I do too) she thought I was nuts when I told her I shop thrift stores and sometimes garage sales for my vintage finds. I'm like girl you haven't lived until you've found a rare vintage item you like and it's pocket change compared to what you would pay elsewhere. I still find some good stuff at antique stores though don't get me wrong. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom