Pics
@DiYMama540 this reminds me of when I got one of my ducks! Mine had reddish eyes (doesn't really show in the picture) and was filthy too! Also, interestingly, the person I bought her off of arranged for me to meet them away from the rest of their flock as well... I was new to poultry (I still am haha), I didnt know anything was wrong with the whole thing until I thought about it recently...

I really really hope your goose makes a speedy recovery, if it helps, a bit of love went a long way for my Duck (Juliét). She is the tamest of my ducks now! When Juliét took her first bath in our pool, she went ballistic haha, I bet your goose did too? With how happy water/swimming makes waterfowl, it saddening that there are some people out there that clearly don't meet their needs.

IMG-20190904-WA0000.jpg

(The seller presented her in the box above, I did not put her in there, for reference)
(Added a second picture to show Juliét's improvement, she won't even stay still for a photo!).
IMG_20190726_182930.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @Jemima Duck! I would love nothing more than to share a picture like your 2nd one with you guys soon! Beautiful ducks you have!

I hope so too, I'll keep my eye on this thread! You're so lucky to have geese, my partner thinks 3 ducks are enough haha.
I know when something bad happens it's nice to hear reassuring anecdotes... it's comforting to hear others have experienced and got through similar hardships, whatever the scale.
Also thank you for the compliment! I'll be sure to relay it to the ducks tomorrow morning :)

Sorry for the late night update....we had a good day today! Neat discovery, made accidentally, seems Chance has better sight at night with a night light! I was a bit late tucking all the birds in bed, so I had a little lantern with me...spent some time with Chance, and he decided he was ready for a night time snack! Ate quite a bit of pellets, finished his greens, and washed it all down with plenty of water!! Didn't touch his wet food today though.
Also...caught him bathing out of his water bucket today! Dunking his head in and preening his body :love aaaand he was able to stretch his wings and flap today without completely losing his balance!
I'll be out running errands tomorrow and I will look for some eye drops or ointment and get that started for him. Ending today feeling very hopeful!! 20190904_223730.jpg

For what it's worth, a seller asking to meet you somewhere other than their farm to sell birds is not a bad thing or a sign of someone being shady. Proper bio-security means that no one that has birds of their own goes anywhere near your birds and someone that is buying birds likely already has some, so you SHOULDN'T be going to their farm to pick up birds if they are doing everything right. I am NOT standing up for the 2 cases above, but, I don't want anyone to think that just because someone doesn't want you on their farm around their birds that they are up to no good, in fact the best breeders won't allow it.

Edit to fix typos

Last edited:
For what it's worth, a seller asking to meet you somewhere other than their farm to sell birds is not a bad thing or a sigh of someone being shady. Proper bio-security means that no one that has birds of their own goes anywhere near your birds and someone that is buying birds likely already has some, so you SHOULDN'T"T be going to their farm to pick up birds if they are doing everything right. I am NOT standing up for the 2 cases above, but, I don't want anyone to think that just because someone doesn't want you on their farm around their birds that they are up to no good, in fact the best breeders won't allow it.

Thanks for the information, I will note it down for the future. I think the concern with mine and the goose case was that they did that AND the duck/goose weren't in top condition.

It does make sense what you are saying though, just in my case both were backyard breeders, and the lovely lady who I bought my first two from gave me a tour of her backyard set up (she had geese too, and chickens! -Very jealous). So in my head, it looked dodgy to supply an unhealthy bird whilst not being allowed to see where they were kept. -But it was definitely worth explaining, thank you!

Yes, there are two sides to that. I prefer to meet people because we aren't home during the day and I don't want the birds stolen, but I also gave guided tours in the past when I was raising 60 breeds at one time. I don't allow visitors into the pens though and usually ask they change their shoes into some mud boots I have just to be safe.

I always show photos of the birds someone is purchasing if I'm meeting them as well. That way there aren't any surprises like Chance. :)

Back
Top Bottom