Coturnix quail, what color type? Male or female?

Mar 17, 2018
Desert southwest, a farm in N.M.
My Coop
My Coop
I am fairly new to quail. I hatched these out they are 4 weeks old when I took the pics last week, today the colors havent changed at all. I could easily tell the difference in the ones with solid golden chests and the spotted chests, but these ones are muddled. They turned 5 weeks yesterday and they don't have a large spot under their tails yet so I can't tell that way quite yet. I don't need to know their sex really, I know in a week or two I can tell by their tail bulge (I can't think of what it's called!)

But I am curious as to what their color type is exactly. I know they aren't golden manchurian, I already have some of those. Pharoah? Jumbo brown? Their chests don't quite seem to match any pics I can find, do the colors mix? (I got the eggs from someone when I was traveling and she didn't know what hers were she just called them mixed.)

I do think they are all male, but just not sure.
20180825_173532.jpg
20180825_173537.jpg
20180825_172955.jpg
20180825_173028.jpg
20180825_173527.jpg
20180825_172936.jpg

This is the obvious females and males
20180825_172358.jpg
20180825_172707.jpg

I am fairly new to quail. I hatched these out they are 4 weeks old when I took the pics last week, today the colors havent changed at all. I could easily tell the difference in the ones with solid golden chests and the spotted chests, but these ones are muddled. They turned 5 weeks yesterday and they don't have a large spot under their tails yet so I can't tell that way quite yet. I don't need to know their sex really, I know in a week or two I can tell by their tail bulge (I can't think of what it's called!)

But I am curious as to what their color type is exactly. I know they aren't golden manchurian, I already have some of those. Pharoah? Jumbo brown? Their chests don't quite seem to match any pics I can find, do the colors mix? (I got the eggs from someone when I was traveling and she didn't know what hers were she just called them mixed.)

View attachment 1520505 View attachment 1520506 View attachment 1520507 View attachment 1520508 View attachment 1520509 View attachment 1520510

This is the obvious females and malesView attachment 1520511 View attachment 1520512

You are right on them being all male. As for the colour, I'd say they are Pharoah. Their chests are quite unusually ginger though. The colours have a tendency not to mix, but it's certainly not unheard of. They look to be Pharoah with a bit of golden mixing in. Interesting...

View attachment 1520505 View attachment 1520506 View attachment 1520507 View attachment 1520508 View attachment 1520509 View attachment 1520510

This is the obvious females and malesView attachment 1520511 View attachment 1520512
Beautiful birds btw :)
All the pics at the top are certainly male. And the bottom ones, you guessed correct, are a male and a female. I believe they are Pharaoh, perhaps a very slight mix as well.

My thoughts exactly, glad to get it verified :) now to decide what to do with them. I eat extra roosters with chickens, but these quail are so cute!
Best wishes! Yeah quail are super cute :love
They are also very easy to cull and 'pluck', there is a very helpful video, I will send you the link if you want.
I was planning to cull my extra (quail) roosters but Im too attached now :lol:

Best wishes! Yeah quail are super cute :love
They are also very easy to cull and 'pluck', there is a very helpful video, I will send you the link if you want.
I was planning to cull my extra (quail) roosters but Im too attached now :lol:
Oh, I had to do one a bit ago when one escaped the brooder, my dachshund "caught" him! So I went ahead and practiced on him and fed him to my other dachshund. (I didn't eat him myself because I only eat things that have been thourally bled)
Anyway, he was so much easier to process than chickens are! So I think that is what I will do with my extra males, there's only 4 or 5 anyway. I would just keep them, but they get too rotten to each other. I already had two older roosters that beat each other up so bad one was scalped! So this time I'm going to keep them separate in small family groups 1 boy 2 girl. I have 2 non related males I will use as my breeding group for a while.

Back
Top Bottom