Could I « Rent A Chicken » At a Hatchery Nearby?

I enjoy your enthusiasm, but I doubt any hatchery will have that kind of offering. Chickens are a whole different thing than making boarding arrangements for a horse. You'd be very surprised at the response you'd get by just asking people you know that don't have such ordinances. Especially if you're willing to do the work five days a week, I bet you could find a really nice situation that works for everyone involved. And sweeten the deal with fresh eggs, who wouldn't like that?

Sorry you can't have chickens where you are. (you should put at least a general location in your profile as it can be important when you ask for advice/help). But greetings and welcome none the less! Glad to have you with us. I have no experience with what you are asking/proposing... I'm pretty sure though that if there is/are farms nearby that have chickens, they would be very thankful for your offer of help in exchange for some fresh eggs. I'm not sure though that they would allow/want you to have your own, personal, owned chickens on their place... Not sure how this could actually work.

Many people across the country are petitioning their local governments (successfully) to allow chicken ownership, even on very small properties. I mean really, if you wanted to dedicate a little space, you could keep a chicken or two indoors as you would a large parrot pet... Though not the ideal situation...

thanks for the welcome!
Here's the ordinance:
- Keeping of domestic animals and fowl.
new
No person shall shelter, exhibit, market, raise, harbor, breed, house or maintain within the city any animal or domestic fowl except dogs, cats, fowl or animals commonly classified as pet.

Would a chicken count as a pet if not used for egg or meat production and specifically for companionship?
You would have to ask the entity in charge of the rules to clarify that for you.

I have seen something similar to what @AlleysChicks mentions as well. I think it was advertised as a farm co-op. People can buy shares and then pick up their meat or veggies or whatever on some sort of regular schedule.
Yes, the guy bought some pullets from me last year and he also sells processed Cornish cross. He lives just outside the city so it’s a short trip for those who can’t have chickens in the city limits.

hi everybody! I have never raised chickens (but my father has) and we want to get a few, but our city doesn’t allow them! We were thinking that maybe we could keep chickens at a nearby hatchery and collect the eggs there, but they won’t live on our property. It’s like a person who practices horseriding and keep their horses at a public stable.

If such a deal could exist, I would be able to visit the chicken 5 days a week as the hatchery is a town over. Has anyone ever seen/done this before? If anyone has any advice, please don’t hesitate to reply!

Also, apologies if I make any mistakes! I’m new :frow

I appreciate all the replies. I suppose "hatchery" wasn't the right word but instead a local farm?

Well my beloved Daisy Chicken was MOST CERTAINLY my pet! When she passed the this fall - it was like
losing any other friend. She came when I called her. Sat and had wine with me at sunset. Came out in the morning to greet me on my way to work. I still miss seeing her pop her head out when I would come home from work and holler - “Daisy Chicken”! I’m am not exaggerating one bit. I bet you could get 2 or 3 and they will be your pets. Trust me when I tell you this!

Also go to your state thread here on BYC ( I don't know how to post the link, but you can go to search forums at the top of this page & search for it) talk with others from Michigan. You may find someone her on BYC that lives near you or has fought city ordinances & won. I sure hope you can figure out how to make your chicken dreams come true.

Back
Top Bottom