Could I « Rent A Chicken » At a Hatchery Nearby?

greatpearl

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2018
Michigan
hi everybody! I have never raised chickens (but my father has) and we want to get a few, but our city doesn’t allow them! We were thinking that maybe we could keep chickens at a nearby farm and collect the eggs there, but they won’t live on our property. It’s like a person who practices horseriding and keep their horses at a public stable.

If such a deal could exist, I would be able to visit the chicken 5 days a week as the hatchery is a town over. Has anyone ever seen/done this before? If anyone has any advice, please don’t hesitate to reply!

(EDIT) thank you for all the feedback everybody. I assume the term I was looking for was "local farm" instead of hatchery. I know a few local farmers that I could potentially whip up a deal with.

Also, apologies if I make any mistakes! I’m new :frow

Last edited:
I have a friend who volunteers at a horse rescue. There are various other barnyard animals that the rescue has acquired over the years and she gets to visit with all of them regularly in exchange for a little work and a little love. This includes a flock of chickens, and on days she volunteers she gets to bring home some eggs. Maybe there is something near you where you can help out.

Sorry you can't have chickens where you are. (you should put at least a general location in your profile as it can be important when you ask for advice/help). But greetings and welcome none the less! Glad to have you with us. I have no experience with what you are asking/proposing... I'm pretty sure though that if there is/are farms nearby that have chickens, they would be very thankful for your offer of help in exchange for some fresh eggs. I'm not sure though that they would allow/want you to have your own, personal, owned chickens on their place... Not sure how this could actually work.

Many people across the country are petitioning their local governments (successfully) to allow chicken ownership, even on very small properties. I mean really, if you wanted to dedicate a little space, you could keep a chicken or two indoors as you would a large parrot pet... Though not the ideal situation...

I enjoy your enthusiasm, but I doubt any hatchery will have that kind of offering. Chickens are a whole different thing than making boarding arrangements for a horse. You'd be very surprised at the response you'd get by just asking people you know that don't have such ordinances. Especially if you're willing to do the work five days a week, I bet you could find a really nice situation that works for everyone involved. And sweeten the deal with fresh eggs, who wouldn't like that?

thanks for the welcome!
Here's the ordinance:
- Keeping of domestic animals and fowl.
new
No person shall shelter, exhibit, market, raise, harbor, breed, house or maintain within the city any animal or domestic fowl except dogs, cats, fowl or animals commonly classified as pet.

Would a chicken count as a pet if not used for egg or meat production and specifically for companionship?
You would have to ask the entity in charge of the rules to clarify that for you.

Back
Top Bottom