Crazy easy way to make hard boiled eggs

Did you try this: Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Gently lower eggs in with a ladle. 14 minutes later drain and put in cold water so they are cool enough to handle. Peel.

I did this last night, Fantastic!!!

Only I didn't gently ladle the eggs into the water and they cracked when I gently "dropped" them into the boiling water. I had a little of the egg white seep out, think egg drop soup, but otherwise they peeled great.
lau.gif

I have been trying for 5 years (since we moved to elevation7500 from elevation1000) to get a nicely peeled hard boiled egg. Nothing worked till now. This is my new way to cook hard boiled eggs. Oh, yeah, 15 minutes was not quite long enough, I still had about 1/4 inch of the center not cooked hard. But water boils at a lower temp up here so I figured that I would need to lengthen the cooking time a bit. I did 15 minutes as a starting point and will add about 3 minutes on next time.

I got through page four and had to try this for myself. So I started. My DW came out and asked if I was crazy "15 minute boil. The yolks are going to be so black." I said, "Trust me, four pages of raves can't be wrong." Well 16-17 minutes later the timer went off and I rinsed and again and one more time but left the water in to cool for 5 minutes. Crack them and voila. The absolutely perfectly peeled egg and the yolks were bright yellow. MMMMMMMMM delicious. Kudos to your hubby.

A did this a couple of weekends ago for a get together. 2 dozen fresh eggs. I put them all into the steamer basket and lowered them all in together. One cracked a little (even at room temp). I cooked them for 16 minutes. Out of 24 eggs, only one had a tiny little problem peeling and all they yolks were beautiful! This really does work!
yippiechickie.gif

Well.... I took the days eggs, did it, and got about 50% good, 50% not so good. Good enough for home deviled eggs, not to let strangers see.

Did a little looking on google.

Now I am going to steam some, and pressure cook some and see what works best.

Some observations- Maybe 17 minutes would have been better than 15. Maybe week old eggs instead of that days. Found out that if my hands were wet I could break the membrane easier.

I used to always have problems....~until~ I got *Henrietta* my egg Steamer! She steams 7 eggs at a time, takes about 15min give or take to cook thoroughly, just like boiling. She can also poach 4 eggs also...although we don't care for them, so I've never used her for that. To use her you poke the Big end of the egg with the built in pin point on the egg holder, then put them big end standing up on the tray, fill her with enough water in the warming base to your preferred done-ness & just plug her in. She chirps when the eggs are done. They're easy to peel due to the moisture of the steaming putting a lil tiny bit of water under the shell next to the egg. Never have a problem using her to steam cook eggs.
smile.png
http://www.target.com/p/henrietta-egg-cooker-and-poacher/-/A-10642699

This is for me by ~Far~ the easiest.
smile.png
I'm always off doing something that timing precisely isn't my Best, lol. When a batch of 7eggs are done I just use the tray handle to put the eggs into cold water, & I can immediately set a new batch of 7eggs with ease.

Last edited:
Yes salt even added to the cool water after you have boild them and let them set in it for a few minutes and comes out clean don't know what the salt had to do with it but it works

Back
Top Bottom