Crazy Guineas! Advice needed...

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
Hey y'all! Hope every ones having a good day so far!

So this is my first time raising guineas, I got them when they were a few days old and they are so cute and fun! I tried really hard to not scare them, talked calmly, sang to them, tried to be very careful changing water and food so as not to startle them. They were in a bathroom, so we would come in a few times a day, and just trying to be calm. I didn't hold them much or anything, as that would freak them out way too much. Just tried to get them used to me and my voice.

Well...its been 3 months or so. And they are CRAZY. I feel so bad for them, as they completely freak out when ever I open the coop to feed and water them. Full on flying around like madmen and banging into things. I'm worried they are gonna get hurt! I go and sit next to their run and try to talk and sing to them, but they want nothing to do with me whatsoever.

I'm not going for lap birds, but I do want them to feel ok coming near me, for treats and such. They are not overly food motivated right now. I plan to free range them, and my plan was to call them in at night with food so I can be sure they come back every evening. I'm so worried that with how scared they are, they will run the opposite way, and when I release them they will never return! I really like them, and want to keep them safe each night.

So does anyone have any tips on how to make them friendlier? I've heard some people raise them with chickens to help them calm down...kinda wishing I did that. Would getting a few friendly chickens in with them help, or are they too old for that method to be effective? Any other ways I can get them to not see me as the devil?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey y'all! Hope every ones having a good day so far!

So this is my first time raising guineas, I got them when they were a few days old and they are so cute and fun! I tried really hard to not scare them, talked calmly, sang to them, tried to be very careful changing water and food so as not to startle them. They were in a bathroom, so we would come in a few times a day, and just trying to be calm. I didn't hold them much or anything, as that would freak them out way too much. Just tried to get them used to me and my voice.

Well...its been 3 months or so. And they are CRAZY. I feel so bad for them, as they completely freak out when ever I open the coop to feed and water them. Full on flying around like madmen and banging into things. I'm worried they are gonna get hurt! I go and sit next to their run and try to talk and sing to them, but they want nothing to do with me whatsoever.

I'm not going for lap birds, but I do want them to feel ok coming near me, for treats and such. They are not overly food motivated right now. I plan to free range them, and my plan was to call them in at night with food so I can be sure they come back every evening. I'm so worried that with how scared they are, they will run the opposite way, and when I release them they will never return! I really like them, and want to keep them safe each night.

So does anyone have any tips on how to make them friendlier? I've heard some people raise them with chickens to help them calm down...kinda wishing I did that. Would getting a few friendly chickens in with them help, or are they too old for that method to be effective? Any other ways I can get them to not see me as the devil?

Thanks in advance!!
Just spend lots of time with them. Make sure they understand that you are the bringer of food and water. Put some treats such as millet out for the,. Make sure they see you do it and then back away and give them space.

If you do use treats, be very sparing with the treats, no more than 10% of their total diet.

Mine are not pets and go out of their way to avoid me but they will come right up to me for the millers that I knock off of the door frame for them.

Of course, I never sing to my guineas.

Let's start at the end and work our way up. If you add chickens to the coop, what you'll end up with terrorized chickens. They just don't play the same. I doubt that would gain you their trust anyway. That's all on you.
Most ppl don't handle/hold their birds. Honestly, how one can avoid it when surrounded by fluff balls is a mystery to me. But, I do handle mine, and I do so frequently. Purely my opinion & experience, but if I didn't,then it would be one more thing to panic & fight against when they need my help, & I would be more timid about doing it.
Example- 20210807_103825.jpg
This angry looking fellow put his foot somewhere it didn't belong and came back w/it covered in blood this morning. I picked him up, leaned his back to my chest in the crook of my arm, cleaned,examined & treated his missing toenail & injured toe. He didn't fight, bite,sqawk, or even breath heavy. I won't say he fell asleep, but he was relaxed enough to have his eyes closed. When I finished, I uprighted him on my hand and he gently hopped down rather than skattering. Were we both not accustomed to each other, that wouldn't have gone nearly as well.
Sitting outside the run is a good start, and singing to them acclimates them to your voice. No weirder than the convos I have w/mine. I whistle, beep beep, clap my hands to get their attention & they come running.
If they've been locked up in the coop for atleast a month, it's time to turn it up a notch so they can be free ranging.- and at 3 months, it'll be challenging.
Pick one bird. You'll probably have to use a towel and catch it on the roost. Then sit outside the run with it. Have some millet to treat it with, encourage it to snack at your feet, then from your hand-however far you want to go w/it. This angry fellow used to ride on my shoulder until puberty kicked in & he decided it wasn't cool.
Meanwhile, Let him wander around free,returning to the run at the end of the day or session. Then spend time the same w/him the next day. When he is comfortable w/you, add a bird.
Gradually the outcome is they will all come to you and be snacking at your feet or from your hand. - and if we end up in lockdown again, you won't be staring at Netflix complaining abt how bored you are.😉

I plan to free range them, and my plan was to call them in at night with food so I can be sure they come back every evening. I'm so worried that with how scared they are, they will run the opposite way, and when I release them they will never return!
I have had success getting mine to return at night by first "homing" them to the coop. After they left the brooder I put my keets in the coop for about 6 weeks before letting any out. Discreetly feed and water each day in the coop. They never appreciated my presence and it was always a bit stressful. 6 weeks later let out your guineas. Let them out in the evening, an hour or so before dusk. Supervise them from a slight distance. Theoretically, the time spent in the coop will keep them close. It being evening, hopefully the birds will not be inclined to venture far. Once it is getting dark, if they haven't returned on their own, try to SLOWLY BUT DELIBERATELY herd them toward the coop door. Sometimes a large stick in each hand can help with this.

This is far from a guarantee. Guineas are silly and bird brained and experts at ruining the well laid plans of keepers. This is the method that eventually worked for me though. I currently have 9 guineas, 2 generations, that free range during the day and return to their coop at night. They are frustrating at times but beautiful and entertaining and probably my favorite "farm animal."

I also don't sing to mine. I think it likely just stresses them out when you are outside their enclosure, and they can hear you but cannot escape. I do give them treats sometimes though and always say the same thing when I throw the treats. "Here cuckoo birds" in kind of a specific voice. Over time they are realizing that it is a yummy idea to come check out what i'm doing when I yell that.

Best of luck with your birds. How many guineas do you have?

Back
Top Bottom