Thank you! They are a fun group to watch run around. I used the original EE cock in the first photos over white and black ameraucanas from Paul Smith to start this line. They have a lot of spunk in them and lay nice big eggs. I hope to have all the birds clean of the recessive yellow gene in 2 years, but depending on how much effort I put in them it could be 3 years. Im just having fun with the line, but I'll be sure to keep updating as long as I have them ! 😊
I bet they are! Someday when I have more property it would be fun to try my hand at breeding. I just love Ameraucanas so I wouldn’t be sad to have a bunch around! :)

I bet they are! Someday when I have more property it would be fun to try my hand at breeding. I just love Ameraucanas so I wouldn’t be sad to have a bunch around! :)
It sure is fun! Sometimes I go overboard with the amount I can keep vs what I can hatch lol, I need to build some more pens and coops this winter to house more chickens lol.

It sure is fun! Sometimes I go overboard with the amount I can keep vs what I can hatch lol, I need to build some more pens and coops this winter to house more chickens lol.
I feel your pain.
I wanted to do quite a bit of building this summer but with the drastic increase with material prices I couldn't.

I feel your pain.
I wanted to do quite a bit of building this summer but with the drastic increase with material prices I couldn't.
Wood finally dropped to almost pre-covid prices around here recently, I bought enough to redo the soffit and facia boards around house. Now gotta save up for coops, hopefully it'll stay down long enough for me to purchase what I need 🤞 have prices dropped yet around you?

The forever problem! 😆 it is probably a good thing my yard isn’t all that big haha. I’ve already started evaluating areas i could build for chickens hehe.

A smaller yard is sometimes a good problem to have.. We bought our first home last year and it has 2 acres which isnt good for a chicken addict 😊😅😂😭

Wood finally dropped to almost pre-covid prices around here recently, I bought enough to redo the soffit and facia boards around house. Now gotta save up for coops, hopefully it'll stay down long enough for me to purchase what I need 🤞 have prices dropped yet around you?
I haven't checked lately.
I knew after covid others were telling me it was getting bad and I was shocked back in the spring when I went to see for myself.
I watched all spring and most of the summer and decided to fix and repair instead of building new. I used scrap wood for all that.
Couple months ago I saw it drop somewhat and a month ago a bit more but it was still up there compared to pre-covid.
I was hoping it would continue to drop but many said it would never recover. I guess I need to go check again. If it's finally reasonable I'll probably buy pieces here and there throughout the winter and be ready to do some work when winter breaks. It just gets too cold here in the winter to enjoy building. It makes it seem like work when you have to be all bundled up and can't feel your fingers.

I haven't checked lately.
I knew after covid others were telling me it was getting bad and I was shocked back in the spring when I went to see for myself.
I watched all spring and most of the summer and decided to fix and repair instead of building new. I used scrap wood for all that.
Couple months ago I saw it drop somewhat and a month ago a bit more but it was still up there compared to pre-covid.
I was hoping it would continue to drop but many said it would never recover. I guess I need to go check again. If it's finally reasonable I'll probably buy pieces here and there throughout the winter and be ready to do some work when winter breaks. It just gets too cold here in the winter to enjoy building. It makes it seem like work when you have to be all bundled up and can't feel your fingers.
Luckily winter isnt too harsh here in west TN, usually only snows once or twice so its very bareable. From what I saw 4x4 , 2x4, 1x6 were all back to pre-covid levels here, plywood at the lumber yard was pretty reasonable again but in the box stores plywood is still pretty high, shoot osb board is still not back to normal at the box stores. Of course nails, screws, and tin probably wont ever go back down.. Im shoppin around for scratch and dent sheet metal for my coops, no sense in payin full price lol.

Gunna pair this girl with the boy I posted earlier as the main breeders for 2022, I'll probably only save eggs from her and use the rest of the flock to hatch and sell the chicks. Both have one copy of Mb and 1 copy of yellow skin, but this girl has a lot of good and is still young so hopin she keeps filling out well. 🤞🤞 cheers

Attachments

• 20211024_174943.jpg
    20211024_174943.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211024_174938.jpg
    20211024_174938.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211024_174735.jpg
    20211024_174735.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211024_174727.jpg
    20211024_174727.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211024_174715.jpg
    20211024_174715.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 6
Very interesting! I'm considering something similar but it wouldn't be an ameraucana when I was done.

I don't know how many you've worked through yet. How is it going with the chicks so far for being able to sex them?

Back
Top Bottom