Crochet "Chat"

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Scrambled Egg, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] Glad you caught him... this morning while I was picking berries I heard a momma guinea squawking... she has a nest by one of my berry patches, so I walked over to see what was going on and I saw a med. size possum, it heard me coming, walked off and into a tunnel. We need to get that thing... its already ate some of the guineas eggs... she has 10 in her nest... I dont want it going after my chickies.

2. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    Quote:Coons are quicker to kill chickens than possums but they still attack and kill chickens. I really thought that was what was killing my chickens since it was not strong enough to take them off after it attacked them. Turned out to be a young coon.

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Finally got my camera accessories so I can show you the babyghan Imade last week for a girl at work ... [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    That is beautiful SE. [​IMG]

I've been so busy with daycare and selling tons (not exaggerting) [​IMG] of chicken saddles and diapers. [​IMG] I'm treating myself to a massage tonight. NO kids. [​IMG] One hour of time for me. [​IMG]

More babies due in 5 days. [​IMG]

Karan: Hope you get what you need. That sounds like a good idea using those panels. This humidity is killing me and the standing water that is boiling hot is about to make me sick. [​IMG] I was mowing and I about got sick when I mowed around the "pond" in the backyard.

5. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Algo [​IMG] so glad ya got the coon make sure you take it more than 10 miles away. The last one we got went 2 foot under......
    That one would never get another Duck Dinner [​IMG]

Jenn be Carefull if there is a oppossum out during the day being active then it maybe sick, as they and coon are nocturnal. If you can I would make sure your hen and her nest is in a protected area.

SE that is Sooo pretty and reminds me of sunshine [​IMG]

Chix Thanks I hope we get some of them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You need to take it easy out in this heat, or just not be out htere much anyway. Hey enjoy you treat of a treatment [​IMG]

Karan [​IMG]

6. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Glad you got the coon, Algo. But ack coon dinner. [​IMG] More power to the guy who likes to serve 'em up. bleh.... [​IMG]

SE - gorgeous babyghan. Like Karan said, it does remind of sunshine. A spring one instead of a burning hot summer one.

Someone from the north pole or south pole needs to send me some cool air please. [​IMG]

Hope everyone is having a good night!

7. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    [​IMG] don't look I am sitting around in my undies and a tank top. [​IMG] Just came back inside from feeding and watering chickens again. [​IMG] Boy It's Hot and humid out there [​IMG]

Yeap I could use a shot of that Feb air right now. [​IMG]

Well I cleaned the brooder box and moved duck eggs off the turner and put some more on. Don't know what else to do with all the duck eggs. Thought I would send ducklings with a friend to a Farmers market she goes to every other weekend. And I may keep a couple [​IMG] they are soo sweet [​IMG]

Well gona go work on the living room then take a shower [​IMG]

Karan [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    We are going to have babies. Those broodys have been so good. Poor girls. I have fans on them and everything trying to make them comfy. I know how miserable they are but he broody has been contagious in the coop. Someone told me that happy hens go broody. So I must have happy ones. I now have 7. Gave more eggs to the new ones. What a great summer. My baby and sizzle are doing great in the nursery. [​IMG] I just sit and watch momma and baby. [​IMG] None of my broodys are even mean about me getting eggs and giving eggs. They just let me do whatever. What a bunch of sweeties. Sometimes I get a hen that lays an egg in the broody nest and I take it for eating. [​IMG] No pecking or growling or anything. They must really trust us. I have all my eggs marked and dated so I don't get mixed up. [​IMG] '
    I'm going to have to give almost all these chicks up and that is sad. I just don't have room for that many chickens and I don't want overcrowding. I plan on selling them I just worry about them going to good homes. I hate abuse of animals and I know how some people think of chickens so that is why I'm sellign them. I think if they pay for them they will think more of them. I'm going to ad on craigslist and tell my good friend that is a manager at Orscheln Farm store I have them. It's almost like I'm screening for good "chicken mommas" [​IMG] They are like family to me. I love all my birds.

Goodnight all . I'm totally pooped after my massage. I do that 2 times a year and I need it. [​IMG]

9. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    I have had an interesting afternoon. I really should get my shower (2nd today due to heat and sweat [​IMG] ) and go bed but I wanted to tell someone and who better than my BYC buddies!
    Everyone by now knows I got the coon that killed 2 of my hens, well, my neighbor came over today and asked if I wanted his 2 hens. He had more but the guy across the road let his dogs out and they killed all but the 2 and he was so disgusted he just wanted to give them to me. Very sorry for my neighbor but it is interesting how just 2 days after I loose 2 I get 2 more. I think they are white rocks. Jerry didn't know. When I went to get them there was a 3rd hen that was broody and Jerry had forgotten about her. She is a leggon or leghorn? Anyway she was mean as the devil and put a nice bruise on my hand but I think we are going to get along. There was no rooster for weeks so the eggs were no good anyway. I thought broodiness had been bred out of leghorn. Guess no one told her that.
    The second cool part of my day (still coon related) was that earlier I had called up an old friend that I had not talked to in years to see if her DH wanted the coon cuz he used to hunt them. We talked for hours and she told me all about her new hobby, nubian (SP) goats. I have never ever tasted, much less seen, goats milk or cheese. I had always heard it was gross and not fit to drink. I have learned different. I went to go see my friend to give her eggs in exchange for some of her milk. It was sooooooo good. I wanted to drink the whole jar. Her cheese was called shevry (SP). I am now seriously considering keeping goats for milk and cheese.
    I got to catch up with an old friend, taste goat milk and cheese for the first time and got 3 new hens all in one day.
    Well, I guess I will get my shower now that I got that off my chest lol. Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow and stays cool. I am going off for the weekend so prolly wont be on here till Monday sometime.

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thanks ya'll!! Hope eeryone has a cooler day, I'm off today and have several errands to run, the first of which is gettting my very flat tire on my car in the drivewy fixed!! Sometime about a valve stem being messed up!! Geez, always something!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by