Jun 2, 2023
I have an egg from a batch of 6 that hasn’t hatched yet. All the other eggs finished yesterday and I’m just wondering if this one isn’t alive anymore. I finally decided to candle it this morning to check for movement and didn’t see anything. Any thoughts on if I should just call it quits or give it another day? Either way I’ll be performing an egg-topsy
(Bonus photos of darling satin and silkie siblings!)

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2382.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2347.jpeg
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2380.jpeg
    IMG_2380.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 10
I have an egg from a batch of 6 that hasn’t hatched yet. All the other eggs finished yesterday and I’m just wondering if this one isn’t alive anymore. I finally decided to candle it this morning to check for movement and didn’t see anything. Any thoughts on if I should just call it quits or give it another day? Either way I’ll be performing an egg-topsy
(Bonus photos of darling satin and silkie siblings!)
With silkies, I let them sit in the incubator for at least a day behind the last hatched one. I've had only one I questioned ever hatch though. I hatch a lot of them and it seems they never all just hatch within the same 12-hour time frame and I sure wish they would! Since that one's not moving at all, I'd still be inclined to leave it just a bit longer unless you need your incubator for a new batch.

With silkies, I let them sit in the incubator for at least a day behind the last hatched one. I've had only one I questioned ever hatch though. I hatch a lot of them and it seems they never all just hatch within the same 12-hour time frame and I sure wish they would! Since that one's not moving at all, I'd still be inclined to leave it just a bit longer unless you need your incubator for a new batch.
Yes I plan to leave it at least until tomorrow evening which would be like 30 something hours after the last baby hatched out. I do have another batch that is going to need to start in the next couple days. Either way it’s gonna get cracked open lol

Leave it until day 25. Then throw it away if nothing comes out. Otherwise you can try to open the egg to see if the embryo is alive or not.
Tomorrow is day 23, I’ll be pulling it tomorrow evening as I have another batch that really needs to go in. Either way it will have had plenty of time.

Tomorrow is day 23, I’ll be pulling it tomorrow evening as I have another batch that really needs to go in. Either way it will have had plenty of time.
Ok, if you are on day 23 then this little fellow should have hatched by now. Consider to crack open the egg carefully because the embryo might be alive but unable to break the eggshell. Update me either it is alive or dead.

Ok, if you are on day 23 then this little fellow should have hatched by now. Consider to crack open the egg carefully because the embryo might be alive but unable to break the eggshell. Update me either it is alive or dead.
*TW: dead chick photo*
So I pulled the egg and did and egg topsy starting from the air cell with tweezers. It was obvious immediately that the baby was not alive. The yolk was still very prominent and looks like it passed right around lockdown. It didn’t have any outward anomalies so I’m not sure why it passed. I’m not willing to cut it open to look so I’m just going to chalk it up to natures course. It appears to be a splash silkie but I’m not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpeg
    IMG_2397.jpeg
    530.3 KB · Views: 7
*TW: dead chick photo*
So I pulled the egg and did and egg topsy starting from the air cell with tweezers. It was obvious immediately that the baby was not alive. The yolk was still very prominent and looks like it passed right around lockdown. It didn’t have any outward anomalies so I’m not sure why it passed. I’m not willing to cut it open to look so I’m just going to chalk it up to natures course. It appears to be a splash silkie but I’m not sure.
I am really sad it didn't make it. I had a similar loss with an embryo that passed away at day 6 of incubation. While it was day 14 when I noticed it was dead.

Back
Top Bottom