Decorating the chicken coop?

cindyanne1

Mother Goose
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Central Ohio
Our chicken coop/tractor/run (however you'd like to call it) is nearly finished and I'm wondering if it's normal to want to decorate it a little.

Ours is an A-frame style, the apex of the roof being about 7 feet high. I mentioned to my husband that it needs a little rooster weathervane on top.
big_smile.png
Surprisingly, my husband thought that might be a cute idea.

I've also always wanted one of those metal stars on the front of the barn. My husband said he didn't like that for "his" barn, but now I'm thinking I could put one on the coop.

What kinds of decor do you all use on your coops, if anything?

I painted one of my chicken coops 2 shades of tan and cream.. I bought a large star and painted it to match the barn.
I also landscaped the front side with shrubs and a small bird bath which faces the yard.
They run is to the backside of the barn.
I think it looks good!

i wanted to do the same thing. i picked up some old plow horse harness peices years back and i have a few old plows as well. i thought one of the plows would make a neat looking roost for the run. i'm having second thoughts on the time clock mounted at the pop door.
big_smile.png

I love the barn star idea and the weather vane also. I bought a "cute" rooster weathervane at a county fair about 5 years ago and never really knew what to do with it. We are now building a new coop and it will have a cupola (sp?) with the weathervane on top!!!
Can you tell I'm so excited! Being a little creative adds so much fun to the whole project. Go for it!!!
I'm new here.......from Idaho, newly retired couple, empty nesters!? (at least human kids!), 6 baby Americanas and 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 black angus steers, 1 golden retriever, 9 wonderful grandkids.

I love decorating and my coop is very visible. So... I have two stars, some painted window frames, a wreath(according to season) and of course, a little garden in front! I also have a large window box, which I fill with colorful flowers and asparagus fern. I can't help myself- if it is there, I have to embellish it!

I have a cedar door on my coop, as yet unpainted. I keep thinking how cool it would look to woodburn a picture of a rooster on it. I could then put some type of clear coating over it. Doubt I'll ever get around to it but I love the idea.

Back
Top Bottom