Deworming and de-miting questions

showbarnmom

Songster
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
south central Texas
(Hopefully dawg will see this and respond. Heard they are the go-to for these things.)

This post contains two stories that merge into one. Sorry in advance if this causes confusion.

Picked up 3 new hens from a lady yesterday. Did some reading and decided they should be dewormed and treated for mites prior to introducing them to my existing flock.

Three weeks ago my 23 week old amercauna Pullet started laying. Wonderful little blue eggs. One every other day. Then a week later crashed hard. Very sick. Cause was unknown, but symptoms led to either Mericks or wry neck.

Nursed her back to health, and reintroduced her back to the flock about a week ago. Has been doing great since. But she has been really grooming herself a lot. Didn't think much of it because she had a lot of stuck on food from being in ICU.

Yesterday I dusted the new chickens and the coop/run with Sevin dust. Today I apply ivermectin pour on for worming, and mites that I may have missed. Since I had time, decided to do original flock as well.

Treated amercauna first, because she's easiest to catch. Spent about 20 mins catching and treating others. Then amercauna started spazzing out. Doing circles like a dog chasing its tail.

So I picked her up to see what she was going after. Low an behold mites!!!!! Look like red or skin mites. I had repeatedly checked when she was sick, and never saw any.

Hoped on BYC and did some research on mites, symptoms, treatments, etc. Found that all her symptoms from being sick could have been from mites.

(if your still with me, thank you, and here is the question.)

So now all birds have been ivermectin'ed, and 4 of the 7 Sevin dusted. Tomorrow I plan to set up a dust bath area in the run with DE, as well as pull out all the shavings in the coop, and treat the coop floor with both Sevin dust and DE. (it has carpet on the floor, old deer hunting blind. ) also will be doing a much closer mite inspection on the others in the excising flock.

Can I/should I do anything else? Withdrawal time for eggs because of the ivermec?

Last edited:
Ty dawg. I know my worm load will be minimal at best, so truely not 'that' worried about the deworming aspect. More for the mites.

I've read to retreat with both in 10 days, should I use fenbendezole (safeguard) as well? I know valbenzen is the recommended dewormer, but I don't want to order such a large volume for 8 birds. And my work (zoo with vet clinic) doesn't have any as well. Safeguard and other equine dewormers I keep on hand.

Also, could you answer the withdraw time? As well as DE for dust bathing?

Last edited:
I keep DE on hand, usually, for pens. Helps deter mice and flies. So was just thinking of adding chicken pens on the list of things to apply it too.

Thoughts on wood ash?

I checked the hen before locking her up, to have my husband help me apply Sevin around her vent area. I could not locate but just a few mites. Surely it doesn't work that fast? Also check the rest of the flocks vent areas, and did not find any other mites. How concerned should I be with removing shavings from the coop?

I keep DE on hand, usually, for pens. Helps deter mice and flies. So was just thinking of adding chicken pens on the list of things to apply it too.

Thoughts on wood ash?

I checked the hen before locking her up, to have my husband help me apply Sevin around her vent area. I could not locate but just a few mites. Surely it doesn't work that fast? Also check the rest of the flocks vent areas, and did not find any other mites. How concerned should I be with removing shavings from the coop?
Yep, sevin works pretty quick. DE wont deter mice, it will help cut back on the fly population if the area to be treated is dry. Sand is much better/cheaper in the pen or run than DE. Sand wont wash out in a downpour and dries quicker. DE is washed away and is useless when wet. Sand cuts down on the fly population as well, including other insects. It's also easier to scoop poop in sand.
Dust the inside of your coop with sevin dust as well, including nests and roosts.

Ty. I dusted everything I could yesterday, prior to even knowing about the mites, to help cut back on flies. Had a coon get one of my girls, about a week ago, and ever since the flies are just every where.

I am very hopeful after so much reading that the mites are the culprit of my amercaunas issues, and not mericks.

Remove the carpet off the floor of your coop and get rid of it. Clean out all shavings and dust by sweeping or vacuuming. Sevin/Pyrethroid dust won't do anything in your coop. An emulsified concentrate insecticide like Permectrin II or Ravap will penetrate wood where mites hide and leave a residual long enough to kill them all. Mix in a tank sprayer and spray all cracks, crevices, nests, roosts, floors, walls, and ceiling. Wear a respirator, or at least a dust mask, and be fully clothed. Let the birds have access to the coop after it is dry and new shavings are added. Wash your clothes after and take a shower.The mistake is often made to treat the birds without treating the coop environment. Both must be done when mites are present.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom