Diatomaceous Earth - Where can I buy this?

TreeHugger

Songster
Apr 7, 2008
I am working on a dust bathing set up for my birds & I'm wanting to add this to it. Not to mention that I've been battling with chicken lice the last few weeks. I went to my local feed store & they had no clue what this was. Any suggestions other then buying it on-line?

MY TSC had no idea either-So I ebayed it and got a great deal I think?? I bought 20lbs and they shipped it-36$ all together? I think it was a good deal at least it was better than any other deal on the net that I found!

I found it today at my MFA...they knew exactly what it was and what I wanted it for..... and it was 17.00 for 50#. Is that a good buy??
idunno.gif

PS....it said : ''Food codex chemical grade'' Is this what it is supposed to say on the bag of DE?? Just wanna make sure...someone told me to look for that on the bag, I think ??

Last edited:
I called numerous places and they all said "Huh?" or "What's that?". I ended up getting a 50 lb bag on ebay for $50 including shipping.

Tip-You have to search for it as diatomaceous earth, though, not DE!

Our local feed store had no idea what it was either, so we looked around the store and found some in the garden section. I'm 99% sure it's NOT food grade, so I didn't buy it. I guess I'll buy some online.

Quote:
I'm so jealous! Yes, that is a great buy, I can't even find it in my neck of the woods. No one has a clue what I'm talking about and I have to buy it online also. Congrats on your find and yes, the ''Food codex chemical grade'' is correct.

''Food codex chemical grade'' Is this what it is supposed to say on the bag of DE?? Just wanna make sure...someone told me to look for that on the bag, I think ??

Perfect. Some places will insist they are giving you food grade, but never take their word, read the bag. I've paid $24/50# and one mill in TN charges about $43/50# picked up there. Custom Milling has reps around the eastern U.S. and may have one near you.​

Back
Top Bottom