diatomaceous earth?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ronnie2, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Ronnie2

Ronnie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    I went to our local family owned feed store and asked for diatomaceous earth many years ago, and still have it. He sold me a fairly big bag of it that is used in swimming pool filters, he said it was the same as natural. I then read that the difference is the swimming pool diatomaceous earth, its baked, and to not to use it for anything else. Now I'm asking the forum, do I keep it or trash it? I have no swimming poo.l

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd get rid of it. I have never used DE and don't have problems with lice or mites. I have also read that it's bad to breathe it in. If it's bad for us, it probably can't be too healthy for the chickens, either.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd trash it....it's not the same as what's used in stored feed to kill pests.

If you insist on using DE in your chicken keeping,
    you need to get Food Grade DE with no clay additives.

4. e72071

e72071 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    I would get rid of it too. Like aart said you need food grade DE. That's what we use as needed. It's not something we put in there daily.

5. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    Thanks Guys, considerr it gone. Now if I could even find it?

6. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I get food grade DE at tractor supply I use it once a month or so to keep down any lice or mites they may pick up

7. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    Thanks Hillary for the reply. I would like to get some for the fire ants. When I first bought it, I was heavy into vegetable gardening, and wanted it to dust my plants. But now with arthritis in my back, I don't get to far away from tractor seat or a chair. Right now I'm at the farm sitting on the front porch. Have been watching for red tailed hawks, and counting chickens (7), easy counting!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There are many miraculous claims for using DE.......most are pure bunk.
    I seriously doubt it would do anything for fire ants.

Since you're just sittin' (enjoy), and it didn't take long to count the chickens, read up some of these threads(just make sure you skip the bunk).
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ne...&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

9. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    I first heard about DE on Howard Garrett's radio show out of Ft. Worth, TX on Sunday afternoons, years ago.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Yeah, I don't think DE will do much, fire ants are far too hardy. You can keep them out of the coop or run with it probably, but you definitely won't kill the colony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by