diatomaceous earth?

Ronnie2

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
Palestine, Texas
I went to our local family owned feed store and asked for diatomaceous earth many years ago, and still have it. He sold me a fairly big bag of it that is used in swimming pool filters, he said it was the same as natural. I then read that the difference is the swimming pool diatomaceous earth, its baked, and to not to use it for anything else. Now I'm asking the forum, do I keep it or trash it? I have no swimming poo.l

I'd get rid of it. I have never used DE and don't have problems with lice or mites. I have also read that it's bad to breathe it in. If it's bad for us, it probably can't be too healthy for the chickens, either.

I'd trash it....it's not the same as what's used in stored feed to kill pests.

If you insist on using DE in your chicken keeping,
you need to get Food Grade DE with no clay additives.

Thanks Hillary for the reply. I would like to get some for the fire ants. When I first bought it, I was heavy into vegetable gardening, and wanted it to dust my plants. But now with arthritis in my back, I don't get to far away from tractor seat or a chair. Right now I'm at the farm sitting on the front porch. Have been watching for red tailed hawks, and counting chickens (7), easy counting!

Thanks Hillary for the reply. I would like to get some for the fire ants. When I first bought it, I was heavy into vegetable gardening, and wanted it to dust my plants. But now with arthritis in my back, I don't get to far away from tractor seat or a chair. Right now I'm at the farm sitting on the front porch. Have been watching for red tailed hawks, and counting chickens (7), easy counting!
There are many miraculous claims for using DE.......most are pure bunk.
I seriously doubt it would do anything for fire ants.

Since you're just sittin' (enjoy), and it didn't take long to count the chickens, read up some of these threads(just make sure you skip the bunk).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ne...&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

Yeah, I don't think DE will do much, fire ants are far too hardy. You can keep them out of the coop or run with it probably, but you definitely won't kill the colony.

Back
Top Bottom