rancher hicks

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I wanted to put this here since I didn't know where to put it.

I'm motivated by an un-named newsletter I receive.

It noted information on salmonellosis and that one particular, also un-named , hatchery was responsible for illness due to it's chicks and/or ducklings.

While I'm aware that we may ourselves have this disease in our flocks, I wanted to note the importance of washing our own and childrens hands after handling chicks or chickens. I like to keep a container of clorox or other disinfectant wipes near the brooder so that it's convenient for use when children come to visit and see the "baby chicks".

I was surprised to see that it was only one hatchery responsible for this out break. Certainly there was more to the article by this reporting agency but I can't type it all up here. Not to mention my arthritis is killing me.

Take care and be safe.

Rancher

Backyard Hencam

Songster
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
Thank you for alerting us. Sometimes we need a reminder that there are germs related to our hens. I do wash my hands after handling the hens but sometimes I get lax when I'm rushed. A good tip!

Elphaba2140

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Illinois
I am a nurse so I always wash my hands anyway but..I have already trained my 3 y/o grandsons that they need to wash hands before and after chicken petting and holding. The older one washed his hands, grabbed a towel (for the chick to sit on) and sat down on the floor and said "I am ready!" He will grow up to be a good Flock Master I am sure.

Top Bottom