Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed my chicken's comb turning purple. Some days it's not very noticeable and other days it is. Today it was very purple. What does this mean? I've noticed she has been drinking a lot when I let her out the last couple of days. I'm starting to wonder if maybe she's not drinking enough in her coop during the day. I recently switched to nipples about a month ago and she has been drinking, maybe she just ain't drinking enough. Also her vent is starting to get very dirty and starting to get clogged up. I'm worried and I want the best for her. What should I do and what does this sound like?
20180801_182800.jpg

How is she now? Is her comb back to red? When was she last treated for worms? Did you look for mites or lice? Is she eating well? Did you give her electrolytes and vitamins?

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed my chicken's comb turning purple. Some days it's not very noticeable and other days it is. Today it was very purple. What does this mean? I've noticed she has been drinking a lot when I let her out the last couple of days. I'm starting to wonder if maybe she's not drinking enough in her coop during the day. I recently switched to nipples about a month ago and she has been drinking, maybe she just ain't drinking enough. Also her vent is starting to get very dirty and starting to get clogged up. I'm worried and I want the best for her. What should I do and what does this sound like?
View attachment 1490460
Her comb is completely back to normal and her dirty vent is clearing up. I think she was just dehydrated because the very next day I put a manual waterer in there it went completely red again.

Always good to have backup waterers. You might consider doing poultry cups instead of the poultry nipples- to me it looks like they have a more satisfying drink. Sometimes 4-5 of them go to the same cup and everyone gets plenty. I like leaving out pans of water too- but of course contamination is a big issue with open water pans.

I'm very confused. After putting the manual water back in there, her comb went back completely normal, here I am days later and now it's gone back to its same purple color possibly a little worse. It's even been way cooler the last few days, what do you think the issue is? I thought at first it was dehydration but now I'm not so sure. Now another one has it just on the tip of her comb but no where like the other one of mine. What should I do?

I'm very confused. After putting the manual water back in there, her comb went back completely normal, here I am days later and now it's gone back to its same purple color possibly a little worse. It's even been way cooler the last few days, what do you think the issue is? I thought at first it was dehydration but now I'm not so sure. Now another one has it just on the tip of her comb but no where like the other one of mine. What should I do?

Purple color means she's not oxygenating the way she should be. As others have mentioned, check her over (at night on the roost) for mites by her vent or other parasites that might be sucking her dry.

The other thing to do is feel for excess fluid in her abdomen. Regardless of the cause, if fluid starts collecting in the abdomen, her heart and lung function will take a dive because they can't pump efficiently.

Here's a great video that shows you how and where to look for the fluid, and the easiest possible way to drain it if it's there. You can find 16 gauge needles (14 gauge is better, but usually can't find them at the farm stores) in the cattle section.

Back
Top Bottom