Do ducks get cold at night?

Gemduckmum

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
UK
1DE2003C-633D-42B3-BF94-88B7DB43F5B6.jpeg
58F6AB7D-D6DC-4F93-B992-554D063C426C.jpeg
This evening we put our 5 ducks in their outdoor house. They have deep straw bedding and a shelf to sit on or a sheltered area underneath to sleep in. The house has cut out windows which have been securely meshed. It’s going to be 12 degrees Celsius (54 Fahrenheit) tonight and I’m worried that it’s too cold/breezy for them because of the open windows? I hope I’m just being too sensetive, I just don’t want them to be cold.

Thanks for your replies! My mind is more at ease now. It’s my first time keeping ducks so I just want to make sure I’m doing the best for them! :)

I remember the first night I put my very first ducks outside. It was in the 60s. I was so worried that I had a hard time sleeping. But they were great. They slept out in the open. I kept having one get in the pool as soon as it got dark. I would get so frustrated and think it was stupid because it couldn’t get out and would freeze to death in the 60’s.:th

Now I know that duck was smart as less predators can get them in the water. And he was absolutely NOT going to freeze to death. I laugh at myself now.:lau

I remember the first night I put my very first ducks outside. It was in the 60s. I was so worried that I had a hard time sleeping. But they were great. They slept out in the open. I kept having one get in the pool as soon as it got dark. I would get so frustrated and think it was stupid because it couldn’t get out and would freeze to death in the 60’s.:th

Now I know that duck was smart as less predators can get them in the water. And he was absolutely NOT going to freeze to death. I laugh at myself now.:lau
Hahaha how funny, the first time is always quite nerve-racking I imagine but I’m sure the ducks and I will all settle in :)

View attachment 1402017 View attachment 1402014 This evening we put our 5 ducks in their outdoor house. They have deep straw bedding and a shelf to sit on or a sheltered area underneath to sleep in. The house has cut out windows which have been securely meshed. It’s going to be 12 degrees Celsius (54 Fahrenheit) tonight and I’m worried that it’s too cold/breezy for them because of the open windows? I hope I’m just being too sensetive, I just don’t want them to be cold.
I love the bunk bed in your duckhouse! I'm going to incorporate that into my new house!

I love the bunk bed in your duckhouse! I'm going to incorporate that into my new house!
Thank you! One of my runners is a bit scaredy so he likes to hide away but my khaki Campbell girls love climbing up on things. They haven’t all quite figured out the ramp yet haha :) good luck with your new house! I’m lucky that my dad is a builder, these ducks are getting a massive pond and pen as soon as it’s built!

Back
Top Bottom