DO I need to be worried?

awizkey

Songster
Apr 22, 2017
Northeastern Ohio
A couple days ago I lost an older hen of mine. She had circulation problems, due to old age or something else. Yesterday, I noticed one of my newest hens (olive egger) had a watery eye, like she maybe had something in it. Today, her upper eyelid is a tad swollen and running again. She isn't sneezing or making any noises out of her norm. She is acting completely normal. Do I need to be worried about this? I read about respiratory issues, but it doesn't seem like what is described. She always opens her mouth to breathe and clucks like crazy when it's hot. I don't know if I am being paranoid due to the recent death or if this warrants some antibiotics or something.

A watery or bubbly eye with a swollen eyelid can be a sign of mycoplasma or MG. It can be treated with Tylan injectable or the oral powder for pigeons. Unfortunately it has become a bit hard to find. Some of the pigeon suppliers are out as well. You may try your local feed stores for the injectable or check with your local vet.

Terramycin eye ointment can be used in the eye twice a day to treat the eye. Clean out any crust or drainage before applying it. Be sure and check inside the eye for any particles or something stuck.

How old was your older hen? Was she exhibiting respiratory distress prior to passing?
Maybe your younger girl got something in her eye that is irritating it. Have you tried flushing it out with sterile saline solution?
No she was not. I am thinking she just has something in her eye, but super paranoid since I just lost one. I will go tomorrow and get some saline to flush it to see if it helps.

How old was your older hen? Was she exhibiting respiratory distress prior to passing?
Maybe your younger girl got something in her eye that is irritating it. Have you tried flushing it out with sterile saline solution?

I moved her and she pooped when I grabbed her. It looked normal. Now that she is freaking out because she's isolated, she pooped almost complete water, brown mustard color with some seed sized clumps. She is stressing big time. I have no clue what to do.

Back
Top Bottom