The principle of an electric fence to keep out predators is to mount it against another solid surface so the animal can't jump over or between the wires. It's more of an electric shield than a barrier.

I have gardens that are prey to deer and bears trying to climb over the fences surrounding them. I run a hot wire against the fence about two feet up, and another wire is mounted all along the top of the fence by stringing the wire through 2 inch PVC to hold it above and away from the metal fencing so the wire doesn't ground out.

I run two rows of hot wire around my coops and runs and bait the wire with peanut butter. These installations are extremely and gratifyingly effective.

The principle of an electric fence to keep out predators is to mount it against another solid surface so the animal can't jump over or between the wires. It's more of an electric shield than a barrier.

I have gardens that are prey to deer and bears trying to climb over the fences surrounding them. I run a hot wire against the fence about two feet up, and another wire is mounted all along the top of the fence by stringing the wire through 2 inch PVC to hold it above and away from the metal fencing so the wire doesn't ground out.

I run two rows of hot wire around my coops and runs and bait the wire with peanut butter. These installations are extremely and gratifyingly effective.
Any chance you could show a pic of your electric fence setup? Baiting with bacon keeps the bear out of my gardens, but so far I can't keep the deer, moose and dang Porcupine out of my garden....I'm not following the pvc part?

A couple things on electric fences........they are NOT and I repeat NOT a physical barrier. Animals have encountered those before and can usually figure out a way to get over, under or through those. So some dogs may very well be able to jump over a 4' high fence and not touch it. If so, any e-fence hanging on the side isn't going to help.

However, in the case of a 4' high fence (btw, what type of fence......vertical wood, horizontal wood, woven wire, barbed wire, chain link, etc?), most dogs will climb over. If so, running a single hot wire down the top.....such that they are going to hook their front paws on it to pull themselves over........as long as they are grounded to something when they do.....metal fence or still standing on the ground......then if they get properly fried doing that, probably won't be able to get them to go near it again.

So if an e-fence is not a physical barrier, what is it? A mental one. The get zapped in the vicinity of the fence and all they know is when they touch that fence it hurts like crap and they will avoid going near it again, least they get another painful jolt of juice. So goal is to array the fence in such a way it gets them......and often that means simply running horizontal strands in such a way that they try to crawl under over or through.......and get zapped in the process.

And yes baiting a fence with bacon or something irresistible to the target animal.......while some might consider that cheating and not sporting at all......hastens their journey to discovery. You could sell tickets.

I came home to a woman trying to round up her dog yesterday. Her dog got loose and ran to my house and attacked my chickens... Killed one of my black chickens injured a couple others. One was my white silkie rooster... He seems to have gotten it worse next to the one that was killed... Ripped a bunch of his feathers out of his back. Hes walking around fine. But isnt crowing and acting his usually self. Will the feathers grow back on his back?
Anyways the dumb owner of the dog left 20 dollars for the mess her dog made... Such an insult. We told her we didnt want her 20 dollars we just wanted her dog to never come back. We have small children and we dont want them getting hurt or killed... So anyways like i asked. Will my rosster recover? Will his feathers grow back? Im really worried about him....
That’s horrible!

A couple things on electric fences........they are NOT and I repeat NOT a physical barrier. Animals have encountered those before and can usually figure out a way to get over, under or through those. So some dogs may very well be able to jump over a 4' high fence and not touch it. If so, any e-fence hanging on the side isn't going to help.

However, in the case of a 4' high fence (btw, what type of fence......vertical wood, horizontal wood, woven wire, barbed wire, chain link, etc?), most dogs will climb over. If so, running a single hot wire down the top.....such that they are going to hook their front paws on it to pull themselves over........as long as they are grounded to something when they do.....metal fence or still standing on the ground......then if they get properly fried doing that, probably won't be able to get them to go near it again.

So if an e-fence is not a physical barrier, what is it? A mental one. The get zapped in the vicinity of the fence and all they know is when they touch that fence it hurts like crap and they will avoid going near it again, least they get another painful jolt of juice. So goal is to array the fence in such a way it gets them......and often that means simply running horizontal strands in such a way that they try to crawl under over or through.......and get zapped in the process.

And yes baiting a fence with bacon or something irresistible to the target animal.......while some might consider that cheating and not sporting at all......hastens their journey to discovery. You could sell tickets.
I've got some great game camera pics of bear reaching towards the bacon, then the next pic of their rear end heading back to the woods. I've tried baiting apple smell lures for deer with no luck. And moose just walk through anything they feel like.
But to the Original Poster - great advice above by @Howard E

This is a shot of my garden and coops. If you zoom in you can see the hot wire on the structures. Notice the PVC sitting on top each steel post to elevate the hot wire, effectively raising the height of the enclosure to keep the deer out, and when a bear tries to climb over, it encounters the hot wire. They always lead with their nose, so this will greet them with the message you wish to send.
P1010003.JPG

I'm glad more harm wasn't done, and agree about the electric fencing suggestions, and about baiting that fence.
I'm also appalled that this neighbor thought that $20 fixes the problem! You have dead and injured livestock, and damaged fencing, and she owes much more, in apologies and cash. Reporting this to AC, at least, would be a good idea.
Mary

This is a shot of my garden and coops. If you zoom in you can see the hot wire on the structures. Notice the PVC sitting on top each steel post to elevate the hot wire, effectively raising the height of the enclosure to keep the deer out, and when a bear tries to climb over, it encounters the hot wire. They always lead with their nose, so this will greet them with the message you wish to send.View attachment 1912238
Looks great - Thx for pic

Back
Top Bottom