Dog help

russellsfarm

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2015
tenneesee
Hello all,
I have three dogs in the house...not a big deal they are awesome dogs when out of the crate.....I have two pitbulls and a cocker spaniel....my problem is two of them are almost a year old and they still pee and poop in there pen and my house smells HORRIBLE!!!!I usually work 9-5 I take them out before I leave and they still pee and poop......I feed them during the day take everything up at around 7 and take them out again before I go to bed.....my question is how can I stop them from doing this and what can I use to get this smell out of my house...I have wax warmers and the bath and body works wall flowers they all laugh at this horrible smell please help

To get rid of the smell go online or to a commercial janitorial supply. You can find cleaners that have enzymes that will break down and get rid of the smells of pee and poop and vomit. These products are used in places like hospitals and convalescent hospitals and vet clinics. As for peeing in their pens, I am not sure I can help. My dogs got the habit of peeing and pooping on the kitchen floor. I threw them out of the house for several months. When I let them back in they had gotten out of the habit. How big is their pen? It may be too large. Try putting each of them in a small crate. You can find some inexpensive ones at WalMart. Do some research on housetraining online and you might get some suggestions you can use.

As stated in the prev. post get some cleaner that has enzymes in it. This will help get the smell out and help with the dogs as well since to them its a safe spot to go because it smells like one.
Has this been an ongoing problem since puppyhood? If so you need to crate train them all over again. The problem is if this was happening when they were puppies they see nothing wrong with going in the crate. Puppies need to be let out alot and working 9-5 is to long for them to hold it. Now they are older they should be able to but again you will have to train them to hold it.
Clean clean clean to get the smell out. The crate should only be big enough for them to stand up and turn around. No more room because if they can poop or pee in a corner of the crate and lay away from it they will def do that. Also no blankets etc in their with them again because sometimes they learn to pee and poop on the pillow/blanket etc and then they can roll it all up and get away from it.

Is it feasible for you to take you lunch break at home so you can let them out? That would not have to be forever just until they get the hang of holding it.

I agree with the others about restarting house training and maybe thinking about using crates. I would also recommend getting a dog walker or coming home at lunch to walk them. It is also always a good idea to rule out any possible medical conditions to be sure there is not an underlying issue causing the house soiling.

I really didn't carefully read the whole post before I commented. Keeping the dogs crated all the time you are at work and expecting them not to go for that long is unreasonable. I mean, I can't do it and I certainly would not expect my dog to be able to. If I were you, I would invest in an outdoor kennel and keep the dogs in it while you are at work. Check out what they have available at Lowe's, Home Depot and TSC.

Most healthy, young dogs should be able to hold themselves comfortably for up to 8 hours. Any longer than that on a regular basis, while not good welfare, can also start to predispose a dog to urinary problems like infections and incontinence.

A lot of people tend to think of dogs like themselves in terms of holding their bladder and also in their dog's concept of time. Dog's are physiologically different than humans and are generally capable of holding their bladders longer than us. In fact, most healthy dogs go all night without having to pee (and many people do as well!). The same goes for the passage of time. What feels like eight hours to us is not the same for dogs. Their concept of time is very different (though my dog definitely knows when it is dinner time!).

Anyway, I think outdoor kennels (with proper housing), consulting with a trainer to help you, crate training, clearing your dogs of any underlying medical conditions, and possibly hiring a dog walker at lunch time will really help your problem.

Also just a note, some older dogs may not be able to hold themselves as long and may need to be let out every four to six hours.

Back
Top Bottom