Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
That I can do making it like a large fishing weir like shown below except made of goat panels. Opening would face where dogs come through fence. What might make is really impactful is having it setup so dogs enter as soon as they cross property boundary and neighbors can see it and recognize what it is for!

View attachment 2975670
Exactly! That is the type of thing I was thinking, done with whatever fencing material you fi d appropriate. The neighbors may indeed see it, and may even object (aka whine) but if the dogs aren't on your property they aren't at risk of being caught, right?
As far as containment/transport. Do you have the ability to build a hog crate type box? With a sturdy box wall you can use a simple ramp and come along to drag the box up into a truck or any vehicle with a rear cargo area (even my nissan rogue would fit a large crate). Make the door a straight slide up type hatch so the crate can be placed directly against another cage, the door slid up and the dog shifted to the new cage.
You can probably build a substantial short term crate for not a lot of money, just the "head scratching time" as I call it and some sweat equity.

If the neighbors were truly interested in keeping the dogs contained they would invest in wired perimeter/ground fence with collars on the dogs that shock them when they get to close to the wire. But doing so would mean that THEY have to expend effort and money. I dont expect they would do anything until they are under legal obligation and or finally realize that they will incur more in fines than a fence and responsible behavior will cost.

Can you establish a funneled set up that sort of steers intruding dogs into a large fenced area that you can close a gate behind them, then push them through to a more contained area? Sort of like the funnel and chute set ups used to contain wild horses or cattle?
Like the one I referenced, its wireless, set it and done for the parimeter ( think it maxs out at 100' range around the house and can dial it in closer if needed, fairly cheap and no digging to install a wire.

Has anyone seen someone deal with a problem like this? I have seen many threads although long-term resolution is seldom related.
We have, at our old house we had 2 acres in the middle of the city in the county that we couldnt fence and surrounded on 3 sides by a creek. Kids and dogs cut through all the time. Set up cams and signs and got warnings... now I was legal and started reporting every incident. Finally caught a couple on the property, I even follows a few to their homes ( cuss me out when I tell you to stop cutting through... game on buddy ) It took about 2 years to completely stop it as we cound out our bridge was known as "The Red Bridge" due to the color and a drug house down the street, had punks walk right up to my garage looking around, sometimes startling me as I am deaf. I wasnt no pushover, you start mouthing Ill confront that threat ! But 2 years was what it took to stop it completely, once the arrests were made word spread pretty quick that I wasnt playing. and some of these were dogs constantly on the run and people walking through because they didnt want to walk around.... My young son playing in his own yard and a stranger just appears out of nowhere or a strange dog growling at him... nope.

If the neighbors were truly interested in keeping the dogs contained they would invest in wired perimeter/ground fence with collars on the dogs that shock them when they get to close to the wire. But doing so would mean that THEY have to expend effort and money.
Those fences with a collar that shocks the dog DO NOT WORK unless someone trains the dog properly. Otherwise, the dog just learns that he gets shocked as he runs across the line, and he keeps going anyway. There can also be problems with thick-haired dogs not feeling the shock, and with the collar batteries needing to be replaced. Of course all of these things have solutions, but they all require the owner to DO something (which is the problem already-- the owner is not doing anything useful about this.)

If the neighbors were truly interested in keeping their dogs contained, I think the problem would already have been solved.

Those fences with a collar that shocks the dog DO NOT WORK unless someone trains the dog properly. Otherwise, the dog just learns that he gets shocked as he runs across the line, and he keeps going anyway. There can also be problems with thick-haired dogs not feeling the shock, and with the collar batteries needing to be replaced. Of course all of these things have solutions, but they all require the owner to DO something (which is the problem already-- the owner is not doing anything useful about this.)

If the neighbors were truly interested in keeping their dogs contained, I think the problem would already have been solved.
The number of dogs involved I think makes that approach too expensive. Owners of greatest concern have at least seven dogs and suspect I have never seen all at once.

We have the IF system here, and after years, our eighth new dog decided he could run through it if chickens were available. We now have 'real' fencing, and also IF collars set on high, and it works. Takes time, money, and motivation to keep dogs at home! Obviously these folks aren't really motivated enough, at least not yet. Jerks!
Mary

Some owners abandon them if their dogs caught and turned into a shelter to avoid fines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom