Dog still having "accidents" in the house

The truth about dogs is they don't hang onto bad experiences. Dogs want to please us so if you coddle her each time she reacts to you. Treat her like a lion and get her happy where she wants to be.
I don't feel as if I'm "coddling" her. I also don't feel that if you simply ignore something happening that it will stop. The point is to replace the unwanted behavior with the more appropriate behavior by providing positive stimuli to the desired behavior. Simply put, one behavior is rewarded, the other is ignored until the correct behavior is exhibited. I'm not at all saying öh poor baby you were abused so have a fruit roll up even though you peed on everything I love" I'm not a door mat:gig

I take her out every hour and after she goes she immediately gets a treat. She gets one for ringing the bell to go potty. She gets one for wiping her paws after coming in. We tried the no bedding in the crate and she just peed on the floor under the crate. She gets told over and over with positive reinforcement what a good girl she is when she pees outside. Ive read soooo many books and soooo many articles on this. Ive learned her anxious peeing is similar to that of a dog peeing because it's excited. The way she is....its just like she forgets we are not jerks. She's very defensive of her urine and can get aggressive if she's afraid. She's such a sweet and smart dog. I just want to help her. I'm trying to be patient but it's almost been a year now
It seems like you have identified the problem well, and taken some successful action. You need to fine tune things to get the results you want. A couple of things to think about:
Food rewards might not be enough now. Some dogs can be motivated by excitement and special toy. [example: carry her fav toy outside with you, get insanely happy when she pees, victory dance back into the house, reward with toy once inside - you know better exactly how to use other rewards if you think it might help]
You've been working at this a while, so you're naturally frustrated, but you've got a perceptive dog. That trait is going to make her a great dog, but right now, when you get the slightest bit frustrated about the pending cleanup job, it triggers her anxiety. You know best how to manage the frustration for you and SO. One day this will just be a funny story. FWIW, I'd try to forget thinking of her as a dog who used to have an idiot owner, and more as a dog who is adjusting to a loving home. You'll get there before you know it.

Unfortunately she is in the middle of treatment for heartworm so exercise is NOT an option. Once it has been confirmed that the treatment was successful she can go back to an exercise regimen...6 months from now with a negative blood test. We plan to walk her twice daily (1-2 miles a day). Right now it's just not possible.

Edit: And yes, she is a border collie mix
Oops sorry, I knew that, about the treatment and forgot.

I'm not sure how this will really work, but I was going to try this with our dog because I had almost the exact same situation. Only my dog pee'd on the floor mat in the bathroom. I didn't have to try it though because she suddenly got it and never pee'd in the house again. :celebrate

Here was my plan, I was gong to buy some pee pads and train her to use those instead of the bathroom mat. Then slowly move the pee pad toward the back door and eventually put it on the porch. My dogs are outside in a fenced yard all day, so I was only battling her night-time/evening pee's.

I'm not sure how this will really work, but I was going to try this with our dog because I had almost the exact same situation. Only my dog pee'd on the floor mat in the bathroom. I didn't have to try it though because she suddenly got it and never pee'd in the house again. :celebrate

Here was my plan, I was gong to buy some pee pads and train her to use those instead of the bathroom mat. Then slowly move the pee pad toward the back door and eventually put it on the porch. My dogs are outside in a fenced yard all day, so I was only battling her night-time/evening pee's.
This worked wonders when she had issues with only wanting to drink water outside. Perhaps I'll try this. Thank you

Don't let her have access to the cage during the day. Reinforce going outside to go potty by giving her a treat when you say let's go potty or whatever you say, use some excitement in your voice about going potty and then a treat. Then take her out and give her a treat as soon as she is done going, not when your back in the house but as soon as she is done. Take her out more often.
You could also try feeding her in her cage. Most dogs won't potty by their food.
We tried feeding in the crate but she would not eat. I take her out every hour and after she goes she immediately gets a treat. She gets one for ringing the bell to go potty. She gets one for wiping her paws after coming in. We tried the no bedding in the crate and she just peed on the floor under the crate. She gets told over and over with positive reinforcement what a good girl she is when she pees outside. Ive read soooo many books and soooo many articles on this. Ive learned her anxious peeing is similar to that of a dog peeing because it's excited. The way she is....its just like she forgets we are not jerks. She's very defensive of her urine and can get aggressive if she's afraid. She's such a sweet and smart dog. I just want to help her. I'm trying to be patient but it's almost been a year now

Back
Top Bottom