dog was sick * A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!*

ther00ster'scr0w

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bay Area CA
My ~4 year old pitbull Nikki is acting sick..ever since yesterday around 1ish or 2ish in the afternoon. Before that, she was out in the backyard running around and she got out and chased 2 small bobcats away.

Once they left (and I don't thin she really came into contact with them, unless where I couldn't see) she was all excited to be out and was investigating my neighbors house (no one lives there now) out of sight.

She ran back down about 10 minutes later and was fine. About an hour later she was limping on her front left paw. There was no sign of anything caught in her paw and her leg did not seem swollen. Besides the limp she was fine-eating and drinking.

However, over night she didn't have the energy to come with me to let the chickens out, and she started coughing a bit, or hacking almost. We fed her and she ate and gave her water, but she is not her normal self at all, no energy or enthusiasm any more. We looked her over carefully and saw that she had small scratches over her body, barely noticeable.

She also seems to be shivering.

From what I saw of the bobcats, they seemed normal [not sick]. Her rabies shot expired about a month ago, but does this seem like the early stages of rabies? We will see if the vet has any open spots today, but does anyone here have any experiences or knowledge about this?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I am positive it isn't rabies... we had issues with that earlier this year. I would for sure get her into the vet. I just want to wish you good luck.
hugs.gif

I think a snake bite is unlikely, unless she woke something up outside.

It does look like she got into a brawl with some animal, as the marks make it look like something small fought with her, but even if this is what happened, is there any explanation for her acting sick?

Thanks for responding.

Her body is succumbing to the bacteria carried in her opponents' teeth and claws. She needs antibiotics and pain medicine.

Does the dog feel like it has fever? It may have been something that started before her encounter with the bobcats. If it is some kind of infection, I'd get her in to see the vet as soon as I could. In the meantime, keep her warm, make sure she has water (put some colloidal silver in it, if you yave any) and give her lots of love.

It's also possible that one incident isn't related to the other. She may have gotten into someone yard and found rat bait. I'd take her in asap. In any case, she needs antibiotics for the cat bites, worst bacterial bite out there!

Back
Top Bottom