dog was sick * A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!*

Rabies takes weeks or months to show symptoms (or become contagious), so it is ABSOLUTELY FOR GUARANTEED SURE not rabies.

I agree, it sounds like she was more injured by the bobcats than you knew of at the time and really needs a vet.

Best of luck,

Pat

thanks for responding everyone

unfortunately she coughed up a tiny bit of blood, but not much though.

We went out side for a bathroom brake and she went and she was able to trot down the hill a little and wagged her tail.

We will call the vet asap.

Thanks!

Cat bites are bad. A girl at our local zoo got attacked by the tiger. The wounds were stitched up fine but the infection from the bites and scratches almost killed her.

Bite wounds can be very hard to find. I had a dog that was severly abused and because of it would fight anything that came around. She got bit in the joint and we didn't find it till it was almost to late. The vet was thinking amputation. She was rehabbed and lived a nice life for 3 more months before she had to be euthanized.

My GUESSES would be

Infection from the wounds

Poison

Snake bite depending on what part of the country you are in

I would get to the vet now. If poison or snake bite, she needs treatment now. My cat got infected from cat fight and the vet guessed the day it happened exactly. Usually takes close to a week before the fever, acting sick, etc., kicks in. My bet is poison or snake bite unless something else was going on before and she just started showing symptoms.

Rat poison in an empty house is very common and very likely she got into some. It can be treated, but treatment needs to start right away.

Thanks everyone!

We just got back from the vet, and of course the moment we arrive she stops limping and acts herself, though she did cough up blood in the waiting room.

The vet basically said he was not sure what it was, as her symptoms point to different things, but said the scratches looked like scrapes, as it is not rattle snake season here. He thinks she might have fluid in her lungs or a bruised lung to explain the coughing, but for the limping he thinks she might of gotten into barbed wire. He said vigilance is what we should do and not feed her anything hard.

She will be fine!!

Thanks everybody, and happy holidays!

thumbsup.gif

Glad you got some good news. Always better safe than sorry.

So glad you were able to take her in.
clap.gif

With those symptoms it's too bad the vet didn't do an xray or some blood work (maybe they did). Was thinking that maybe the scratches are just from rooting under the empty house but, and if it's not caused from another source, I wonder if the lung congestion and limp could be from an underlying heart issue that was brought on by the sudden exertion of chasing the cats.

Hoping the best and a quick recovery for your pup!

Back
Top Bottom