Duck bumblefoot medication question

GooseBuddha

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 21, 2015
Vashon, WA. USA
I have acquired an older pekin drake who has bumblefoot. I think he's had it for awhile and the owners were unaware of what it was. They said he has always limped. I have some injectable Naxcel (a type of cephalosporin?) that a farm vet prescribed for a rooster of mine with an infection in his leg. Would this be an antibiotic I could give to my drake? Does anyone know what the dosage would be? Thanks BYC and Ducks!

I have acquired an older pekin drake who has bumblefoot. I think he's had it for awhile and the owners were unaware of what it was. They said he has always limped. I have some injectable Naxcel (a type of cephalosporin?) that a farm vet prescribed for a rooster of mine with an infection in his leg. Would this be an antibiotic I could give to my drake? Does anyone know what the dosage would be? Thanks BYC and Ducks!
Welcome to BYC!

Can you post some pictures of his foot?

-Kathy

I looked at his foot and he seems to have healed by himself! You can see where the bumblefoot was, but it is not scabbed or infected looking any more. Not sure what type of environment he was in before, but maybe better food and fresh water daily has helped him. He also can free range and has access to worms and bugs. He still limps, but it's probably out of habit. He seems happy enough.

Back
Top Bottom