Duck coughing

farmerRoss

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
North Carolina
My rougen duck has been coughing for over a week now we have him on oxytrecyline and no improvement 1 tbs per gallon now my 6 week old ducks are coughing. I started them on that too but 1/2 tsp to 1 quart of water should I switch to something else?

My rougen duck has been coughing for over a week now we have him on oxytrecyline and no improvement 1 tbs per gallon now my 6 week old ducks are coughing. I started them on that too but 1/2 tsp to 1 quart of water should I switch to something else?
You might try Tylan Powder it's for sinusitis and most respiratory infections. what other symptoms? and do they have a bucket of water to clean out their nares and eyes in?
On my med chart that I got through Twin City Poultry it say Tetracycline is for bacterial pneumonia, paratyhoid, ornithosis, bacterail enteritis and stress

They have a kiddy pool for bathing and they seem fine other than coughing. When they quack it sounds like they are hoarse. I have them on oxytrecyline and it dosnt seem to be working because now I have 2 babies that are coughing;(

Do you know the dosage for the Tylan powder and does that go in their water?
Yes the powder goes in their water, it's 1 or 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days be sure to pick up some probiotics since your using antibiotics to help the good bacteria stay established in their gut. antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria. There is a Tylan 50 injectable that is given in the breast muscle. I have never done that but you can PM casportpony for info on giving injections.

Thank you so much for knowledge and help;) is it ok to switch them over 1/2 threw the oxy?

I'd think so because it says it can be mixed with Aureomycin for tough respiratory problems don't treat any more with the oxytetracycline then start fresh with the Tylan.
It say on the directions for the oxy to treat 5-7 days so if you have treated for a week then your done with it anyway.
Please keep us updated on how they are doing and if you can make a video of them coughing that would help too.Forgot to ask any other symptoms? drainage? stuffy noses? how is their appetite?

Last edited:
There is no stuffiness or drainage and they are off a lil on food but seem pretty normal for the most part. I will definitely keep you posted and I will try to make a video

There is no stuffiness or drainage and they are off a lil on food but seem pretty normal for the most part. I will definitely keep you posted and I will try to make a video

I think seeing and hearing a video will help alot, just a few weeks ago a member posted about her duck coughing, but acting normal in all other ways. Short of a vet visit we can only give advise what know about or read about. How about bedding? food alot of dust? The food I have gone to now because it's non GMO is very dusty and don't think I could feed it if I didn't ferment it that way it's moist and no problem with dust. Aspergelois [sp] brooder pneumonia is another possibility if there is mold present in the house they live in or bedding,Just tossing some things out that may cause coughing. Good to hear there is no other symptoms. Also make sure their poop isn't bloody or too runny I know hard to figure out what is normal duck poo but when we had them for a while we can pretty much notice any differences.
I made a couple videos and put them on you tube if I can you can, I'm not to bright when it comes to computers. lol

There bedding is large shavings and cleaned once a week. I feed the laying pellets. I really thinks a virus of some sort because 2 od my 4 ducklings are coughing now and they have the same routin as far as cleaning I'm switching to the Tylan and hopefully a video soon thanx again

Back
Top Bottom