Dying Chickens--what is it and how spreadable?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenkisses02, Mar 16, 2018.

1. chickenkisses02

chickenkisses02 In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    I have had 2 chickens die in the same day and cannot seem to find exactly what it is. My worst fear is that it would spread through the whole flock. So I am wondering what is is, cures, and preventatives. Here are the symptoms:
    No noticeable difference in earlier days. The one died quicker then the other. The one that I did see in the beginning stages had her back hunched and didn't want to move. Her dropping were practically water. It graduated to lying twisted and thrashing.
    It DID NOT seem as there was any strange coloring or swelling on the head. NO mucus or fluid coming from the eyes or mouth.

HELP!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could literally be a hundred different things. The only way to know for sure is to send a bird to your state poultry lab for a necropsy and lab work. Otherwise it is just a guess.
    Losing more than one bird in short order, it is time for the professionals.
    Here's a list of poultry labs around the country.
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
    Call and ask how they want the bird sent. They may send you a FedEx label for shipping.
    I usually hand carry mine. Keep the bird refrigerated, not frozen.

Hen Pen Jem likes this.
  3. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India
    Pls tell in brief what happend

There are too many diseass which kill and spread like fire can't guess any without symptoms

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Get post mortems done, and have real information.
    Mary

Hen Pen Jem likes this.
  5. Thorn Fulford

Thorn Fulford Chirping

Nov 22, 2017
    I am no expert but if it were my flock I would immediately add Apple cider vinegar to the water , feed some medicated feed ASAP

6. chickenkisses02

Jun 25, 2016
    Thank you for the replies. I have already frozen the one. :/ There are no more sick this morning... Hoping... I was planning to add apple cider vinegar and have previously been putting it in their water.

7. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The path lab wants chilled, not frozen. Wet the bird in cold water to chill it fast, and then wrap it in plastic and refrigerate.
    Mary

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  8. chickenkisses02

Jun 25, 2016
    I already froze it. :(

9. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Call them Monday and see if they will check it anyway, and refrigerate next time.
    So sorry for your losses.
    Mary

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    What would you medicate for? Personally, I woud not medicate unless I knew what the problem was.

Table4Six likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: