Earthen Acres Homestead: First mixed laying flock

Thank you so much! I didn't even know she was a leghorn until somebody on here told me! :confused:
I have a White Leghorn named Matilda and two 55-Flower named Petal and Flora.
So is Sylvia a cross between the 2 breeds? She looks like a 55-Flower.
I am enjoying your thread here. It’s so nice to get to know each bird individually. I’m looking forward to meeting the rest of your flock.

I have a White Leghorn named Matilda and two 55-Flower named Petal and Flora.
So is Sylvia a cross between the 2 breeds? She looks like a 55-Flower.
I am enjoying your thread here. It’s so nice to get to know each bird individually. I’m looking forward to meeting the rest of your flock.
Hi Cryss! Her genetics are up for debate. I got her locally from a mixed flock. Thank you so much for your interest. It's fun to recognize their personalities and familiarize myself with different breeds laying average and egg color. Stay tuned for tonight's feature, Vickie the barred rock!

Soo tonight I want to talk about Vickie. She was named after my aunt who helped us purchase the flock as a belated wedding present. Vickie is most likely a Barred Rock, but the greenish iridescence to her back makes me think maybe shes a mix? Vickie lays light brown, medium-large eggs about 4 times a week. She is incredibly curious and fearless, and is often waiting for me at the fence when she hears me open the door to bring treats. I love her coloring, and watching her run after a tossed carrot top or apple piece is one of the highlights of my day. 20200327_162935.jpg
20200331_111811.jpg

20200331_111730.jpg

20200331_111809.jpg

Share your barred rock pics/experiences!

Share your barred rock pics/experiences!
I really like Plymouth Rocks. I have had both barred and white and have no complaints. The hens are good cold-hardy layers and the rooster I had was friendly.
Right now I do not have any full Plymouth Rocks, but I have three mixes that are half siblings from the same father. He was a White Rock, but passed on the barred gene. His six offspring are the chicks pictured in my previous post. I sold two of the boys and one of the girls died by an unknown predator. The ones are have now are: one rooster that is half Easter Egger, one hen is half Cuckoo Maran, and one hen that is half Rock but I do not know what the mother was.

These are the two roosters I rehomed.

Adam.jpg

Caspain.jpg

These are the chicks with their "adoptive mother."

Chicks 6.jpg

This is the boy that is half Easter Egger.

Chicks 8.jpg

Sorry for the long rant. I love talking about my chickens.🙂

Back
Top Bottom