Feeder/food amount

JoyV

Songster
Aug 30, 2019
Hello all!
I have 5 chickens and this is the feeder I use ( see pic) I fill this up every morning. I feel like that’s too often for only having 5 chickens. I know some spills and I’m about 90% positive I’m feeding all the mourning doves in my area! What is a better
Solution?? Thanks!

Attachments

• 33380824-FE36-4933-8C46-9B9A1FE7BDD1.jpeg
    33380824-FE36-4933-8C46-9B9A1FE7BDD1.jpeg
    866 KB · Views: 12
Just to make sure I'm seeing right... is that all wasted feed on the ground around it, or sand/gravel? How big is that feeder?

If it's 5 birds and (I'm assuming) a 7 lb feeder that should last closer to 5, maybe 6 days.

If you have wild birds or rodents coming in, yes they're probably eating quite a lot. Also since that feeder is hung do you have it sitting on anything to keep it from swinging (which could cause some feed to get spilled).

My feeder isn't that different in style but 1) I have it inside the coop so no rodents/wild birds 1a) I take it in every night to make sure it doesn't ever attract rodents 2) my chickens eat up any feed that spills because they don't have access to the feeder again until around 8:30-9 AM the next day.

Hello all!
I have 5 chickens and this is the feeder I use ( see pic) I fill this up every morning. I feel like that’s too often for only having 5 chickens. I know some spills and I’m about 90% positive I’m feeding all the mourning doves in my area! What is a better
Solution?? Thanks!
the feeder looks nice. well for me, as long as you have a feeder. you can just put food to last for a day., and it can be pretty much controllable.

I also keep my feeder in the coop and no song birds or doves have found the way through the pop door.
20190927_050527_resized.jpg

My Barred Rock coop is inside pen and pop door is less than two feet from fence.
20190522_102048.jpg

Song birds do get into pen. I don't leave the people door open on the coop.

7 pounds of feed for 5 Chickens? Unless they're spilling it on the ground, the doves and others are enjoying the feed. GC

Last edited:
I have a clear tote that holds over 100# of feed with 8 ports (90* elbows) in it. This eliminated my wasted feed tremendously. The chickens use to rake feed out on the ground, inviting birds and mice into the coop. Making the tote feeder I have a lot less waste, and less pest.

Just to make sure I'm seeing right... is that all wasted feed on the ground around it, or sand/gravel? How big is that feeder?

If it's 5 birds and (I'm assuming) a 7 lb feeder that should last closer to 5, maybe 6 days.

If you have wild birds or rodents coming in, yes they're probably eating quite a lot. Also since that feeder is hung do you have it sitting on anything to keep it from swinging (which could cause some feed to get spilled).

My feeder isn't that different in style but 1) I have it inside the coop so no rodents/wild birds 1a) I take it in every night to make sure it doesn't ever attract rodents 2) my chickens eat up any feed that spills because they don't have access to the feeder again until around 8:30-9 AM the next day.
Some food is on the ground, but it’s sand mainly. It says it’s 6.6 pound feeder. I bring it in every night and then put it out about 7:30 am for them again. It does swing some so maybe some spills, however a lot of times I just leave on the ground instead of hanging and I still refill just as much. No way has it ever lasted 5/6 days! Every morning I refill :( it must be the birds eating it all!

I have a clear tote that holds over 100# of feed with 8 ports (90* elbows) in it. This eliminated my wasted feed tremendously. The chickens use to rake feed out on the ground, inviting birds and mice into the coop. Making the tote feeder I have a lot less waste, and less pest.
Can you post a pic, is it something I can easily make?

No way has it ever lasted 5/6 days! Every morning I refill :( it must be the birds eating it all!

At 6.6 lbs filled, even with some spillage, that should last a good 4 days. So yes I'd wager your wild birds are eating quite a lot.

There's a few DIY feeders in this section of articles: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/feeders-waterers.26/ - for your purposes you'd probably want one of the PVC-in-a-tub/bucket types where the chickens have to put their head inside to eat.

Some food is on the ground, but it’s sand mainly. It says it’s 6.6 pound feeder. I bring it in every night and then put it out about 7:30 am for them again. It does swing some so maybe some spills, however a lot of times I just leave on the ground instead of hanging and I still refill just as much. No way has it ever lasted 5/6 days! Every morning I refill :( it must be the birds eating it all!
That 6.6 pound feeder would feed five hens for over five days. A quarter pound per hen per day, anything over that and you are feeding rats or wild birds or squirrels.

Is there somewhere else that you can put your feeder?
I have a raised coop and a similar feeder. I sit my feeder on top of a block, under the raised coop, out in the run. I bring it in every night.
It discourages wild birds from venturing in. Being raised a bit stops from them from scratching it all on to the ground.

If you don’t have a way to discourage wild animals from eating your feed. You may just have to lock your girls in for a few hours in the morning and evening to eat, and then let them out and remove the food for the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom