Female pekin walking problems

Lucyspals

Songster
Jun 14, 2019
I have a three year old female Pekin who lays down all the time unless she is in pond.
She has been vitamin on b complex with no change, her legs are pigeon toed and she seems step on her feet some. She is eating, drinking and plumage looks very healthy. She is still laying eggs. I cannot find any injury on her.

How long has it been going on?
For a few months she seemed better once the weather got nice. She finds a spot and lays down while my other two go on around the yard, they do not go very far without her.

Interesting. If she's eating a good diet and you've been supplementing with vitamin B complex there may be nothing you can do. The bottom of her feet are fine? I have two pekins who are three years old and one of them sits down a lot more than the other. She will go about the yard with the other ducks for half an hour but then sits immediately when I move them into the run, unlike the other ducks who continue to forage for awhile. She's always been more of a sitter. She had splay leg when she was a baby, but we helped her get through that pretty quickly. I've always just thought she was a bit weaker maybe. And she's a hatchery pekin, and I know they're bred for harvest at 8 weeks, so I've thought that maybe she's just not as vigorous.

If you can't find any injuries or bumble foot, I would say it's almost certainly a niacin deficiency or perhaps she's overweight.

Back
Top Bottom