First Egg Countdown

Thanks LynnEBC
big_smile.png

I cracked the bigger egg in the frying pan to find this

A DOUBLE YOLKER!!!!
woot.gif
I am way too eggcited about this but it was a exciting end to a exciting day! Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Last edited:
Now, I'm confused. Is it normal to get another egg from my first layer 36 hours later and twice the size? It is another perfectly formed egg with a nice shell. I have a barred rock and a buff orpington 19 weeks tomorrow. They do have bright red cheeks but pretty small combs and nothing compared the brown sex link that layed yesterday? Any thoughts?

You probably got a double yolker. Sometimes a potential egg gets lost in the tubing and then when the next potential egg is released, it catches up with the stalled one and they travel down together and form a double yolker. Normally and egg cycle is 24-26 hours. So your hen will lay later and later in the day until they get to about 3 or 4 o'clock and then they will skip the next day and start over early the day after. New layers will have more double yolkers because they haven't established their timing yet.

This is the look I got from one of our pullets when I asked her when she was going to start laying eggs. Lol! She actually has the most developed comb and wattles of all of them, they're 5 months old now.

Back
Top Bottom