First hatch first pips

FancyFarmQ

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2015

My 3yr old and I are geeking out today! (Day 19) is that ok?? Day 19 and pips?? I'm so excited! I had to post because no one will get it!!! Eeeeeeeee!!!!

After many hatches I STILL geek at hatch day.

If those are small pullet eggs or bantam then your right on for temperature. If full size eggs you are likely a tad high on temp for them to pip on day 19. I've been using the same thermometer since the second year of hatching. Through trial and recording the hatching days have adjusted the thermostat so they start piping day 20 and hatch day 21 to 22. Even though my thermometer reads 97F when placed on screen to side of turner I know it's the right temp. Basically nature and several hatches calibrate even the worst thermometer.

Next go round (if all your chicks hatch on the early side of 21 days) try 1/2 to full degree F lower. Big advocate of using the same equipment so you know what your working with and can make minor adjustments to your incubation to improve results.

Last edited:
After many hatches I STILL geek at hatch day.

If those are small pullet eggs or bantam then your right on for temperature. If full size eggs you are likely a tad high on temp for them to pip on day 19. I've been using the same thermometer since the second year of hatching. Through trial and recording the hatching days have adjusted the thermostat so they start piping day 20 and hatch day 21 to 22. Even though my thermometer reads 97F when placed on screen to side of turner I know it's the right temp. Basically nature and several hatches calibrate even the worst thermometer.
Why would a pulley egg make a difference? Because that's what they are!

Smaller eggs tend to incubate and hatch faster than full sized eggs. Day 19 is very typical for pullet sized eggs and bantam eggs. Not that it came from a pullet rather the size of the egg. Pullet egg by size weighs less than a Small (i.e. pullet, small, medium, large).

Smaller eggs tend to incubate and hatch faster than full sized eggs. Day 19 is very typical for pullet sized eggs and bantam eggs. Not that it came from a pullet rather the size of the egg. Pullet egg by size weighs less than a Small (i.e. pullet, small, medium, large).
You guys that's for the great info. 11 out of 12 hatched! The 12th was fully developed yolk was sucked up... I'm wondering if maybe it Suffocated due to a small shell?

Back
Top Bottom