fleas & dogs

Don't know if this has been mentioned--you must treat the dog's environment also. Just getting the fleas off the dog is only half the battle. If you can't treat the whole yard then definitely treat the areas where she is at most of the time. Good luck and the battle with fleas can be won.
smile.png

I live in the foothills of Sierras in CA and have had a terrible problem with fleas this year
barnie.gif
Two of my dogs have fleas; they are indoor/outdoor pets. The other two dogs, who are almost always outside, and the cat don't have fleas at all! I have tried every topical med out there, Advantage, Frontline, Spot On Products (which, BTW, sent my cat into seizures, had to call the vet). Also tried flea dip, only out of desperation. Tried natural oral pills from the vet. They didn't work. No fleas in the house or carpet or dog bedding
idunno.gif
Help! This is driving me crazy
he.gif

I use Permethrin on my own dogs. I also spray their hangout areas with it. Sometimes, I spray those areas with Tengurd SFR, industrial strength Permethrin. I won't use Tengurd on any animal. It possibly kills them if I do spray them with it. My pasture and dogs are pest-free so far. Permethrin is cheap. Tengurd is about $100 for 1.25gal bottle.

Try comfortis. It's not a natural flea remedy but if you live in a sandy area like I do, sometimes you have to pull out the big guns. My dog are 3 lbs, 8 lbs and 65 lbs. I buy the comfortis for the big dog which is a 60 to 120 dose pill. I purchased a set of gram scales (Ebay, less than $20) and I carefully measure out the correct dose for each size dog from that single pill so none is getting more than they need. I always feed it to them with a good meal so it's never on an empty stomach. I have never had a single bad reaction or vomiting with any of the dogs. Fleas are gone in less than a day and stay gone for close to 2 months. It's an AWESOME product!! I have been using this stuff for well over a year now.

Ive been using Confrtis since it came out and have had great results. I found my dogs were infested in fleas a few years ago and went and got the Frontline like I do every month...fleas were still there a week later so went and got more Frontline to dose then up again...Hoping I wouldnt kill them. In the end I barged into the vets office and told them my dogs were still running in fleas. Oh they said, the Frontline isnt working for some reason. I bought it for 5 dogs and 3 cats...TWICE in 1 month. Then they tell me Confortis. Ive found that I can use Comfortis 3 times a year and no fleas.
Oh and about the garlic....how much garlic and what sort of garlic...frash garlic cut up or the dried garlic, or th garlic in the liquid stuff??

Comfortis really does work. Frontline had stopped working for us, so we switched to Comfortis in '09 & we haven't had any problems with fleas since.

Where do you get Comfortis ? Do you have to get from vet ? I too have had no luck with Frontline or Advantix....on any of my 2 cats and 2 dogs (10 lb and 90lb) so needless to say .... $160 later ...we still have fleas !!!!! UGHHHHH

Has any one tried DE ? and do you just powder them down with it ?

Quote:
I tried this product, bought it from the vet. It did not work
barnie.gif
. The garlic pills I have been giving them have not worked so far. However, it's only been 4 days and I can't seem to find information about how long it takes for the fleas to react to the garlic. Does anyone out there know? Poor dogs, the fleas are driving them crazy - always biting that area just above where thier tail starts and scratching everywhere else, all the time.

Last edited:
I just switched to the trifectus (comfortis with heartworm) and I have to say it really works. We've had our worst flea infestation ever this year. We had pest control come out and spray, used frontline, and the fleas just laughed at us. I gave my dogs trifectus and the fleas were gone by morning.
ya.gif

You do have to get a script from the vet, but I was able to get it locally cheaper than they sell it online. It came out to around $13 a month, which isn't bad since it includes the heartworm preventative.

Back
Top Bottom